Bear pepper spray is only useful if you can have it out and ready in a short amount of time. Bear pepper spray that is stuck in your bag might as well be back at home for all the good it is going to do you when a bear charges you. Which is why if you’re going to get a can of bear pepper spray, you should get a bear spray holster to go with it. That way the bear spray can sit on your belt or somewhere else close by, and be quickly accessed when you do need it.
Bear Spray HolsterWhat to look for when buying a bear spray holster.
- Accessibility – When shopping for bear spray holsters pay close attention to how fast you are able to access the bear spray. If you need to be undoing complex straps to get your bear spray out, what are the chances, realistically, that you will be able to get that bear spray out when it matters. You want your bear spray to be as accessible as possible.
- Compatible – Not all bear spray cans are made equal, and many bear spray holsters will be made to work with a certain brand of bear spray, and maybe even a certain can size. Most manufacturers of bear spray will also make holsters, so it’s usually easiest to look for a holster from the same brand of your bear spray.
Best Bear Spray HolsterSome of the best choices for a bear spray holster.
- Counter Assault Bear Deterrent Spray Holster - This is a basic belt holster that will work with either the 230 gram or 290 gram size of counter assault bear spray. It will strap on to your belt or even a backpack hip belt if that's more convenient. There's just a simple velcro strap that holds the bear spray in place, so all you need to do to get at the bear spray can is rip back the velcro and remove the bear spray. Easy and convenient.
- Counter Assault Chest Holster - This is the same Counter Assault holster above, but with a second strap that will allow you to secure it to the center of your chest or else to the strap of a backpack. A useful little addition if you would prefer not to carry your bear spray on your belt.
- Counter Assault Bear Spray Deterrent Package - If you don't already have a can of bear spray then this is convenient package from Counter Assault. It comes with either the 230 gram or 290 gram size of bear spray, plus the appropriate belt holster, so that you have everything you need to go exploring in bear country.