When you’re going to be carrying a piece of metal around with you while backpacking, it helps if you at least make it an ultralight piece of metal. Like most other pieces of ultralight backpacking gear, an ultralight backpacking knife is a great idea just because it saves you from carrying around any more weight than you need to be. The lighter your backpack is, the more you will be able to think about something else other than getting your backpack off.
Ultralight Backpacking KnifeWhat to look for in an ultralight backpacking knife.
- Folding or Fixed – There are two main kinds of backpacking knives, which are folding and fixed blade knives. Folding knives tend to be lighter, which makes them ideal for ultralight backpackers. It must be said, however, that fixed blade knives are stronger, and a better choice if you use your knife quite a bit.
- Length – The longer your knife is the more it is going to weigh, all other things being equal. So getting a knife with a short blade length is definitely a good idea if you’re looking for an ultralight backpacking knife. Of course you don’t want to get a knife so short that it becomes unusable for whatever you use it for.
Best Ultralight Backpacking KnifeSome of the best possible choices for an ultralight backpacking knife.
- Columbia River Delilah's Peck Razor - With a blade length of just 1.88 inches and a total weight of just .9 ounces, or 25 grams, this is about the smallest and lightest backpacking knife you're likely to find, and if you want something ultralight, it would be hard to do better than this. It's a folding knife, of course, and actually doubles as a money clip. It's made from stainless steel, but beyond that there's not much to say. Very small, and very light.
- Baladeo 34G Superlight Pocket Knife - This is only slightly heavier than the Peck above, at 1.2 ounces, or 34 grams like it says in the name, but with a 3.75 inch blade it's significantly bigger than the very small Peck above. It's stainless steel, and even includes a belt clip, but has a very minimal handle and is a very minimalist backpacking knife, and definitely an ultralight backpacking knife.
- SOG Knives Field Pup Knife - The Field Pup is ideal if you would prefer a fixed length ultralight backpacking knife. The blade is 4 inches long, and since it's made by SOG it's good, high quality steel, which is reflected in the price. It comes with a sheath, of course, and at just 4 ounces, or 113 grams, it's one of the lightest fixed length backpacking knives you will find anywhere.