Water is one of the few essentials that just about everyone takes with them on a hike. Hiking is thirsty work, after all, and if you end up delayed in the outdoors, water is one of the few things that are essential. There are many hiking water bottles out there, but only a few that will really get the job done well.
Hiking Water BottlesA few features to look for on hiking water bottles.
- Lightweight - If you're just out for a quick hike then weight probably wont matter to you all that much, but for longer hikes, or multi-day hikes, a lightweight water bottle is a good idea, for the simple reason that carrying a heavy backpack is foolish when there are lighter water bottles available.
- Chemical Free - Chemicals like BPA are very bad for you and were, up until a few years ago, widespread in many plastic bottles, including hiking water bottles. Most plastic bottles are now BPA free, but if you're worried about it, stainless steel hiking water bottles are a good alternative.
Best Hiking Water BottlesOnly the very best hiking water bottles for your next outdoor trip.
- Nalgene Wide-Mouth Loop-Top - You would be hard pressed to find someone that does not know the very popular Nalgene water bottle. It's extremely popular, and there is a good reason. It's tough, relatively light at 3.5 ounces, or 100 grams, and holds a full 32 ounces, or .95 liters of water. The wide mouth makes it very easy to fill, and it's now BPA free.
- Platypus Platy Plus - The Platy Plus is something a little different. It is made out of tough, yet pliable plastic that you can fold up when not in use. If you're just hiking you might be indifferent, but for backpackers with limited space in their backpacks, it's a great feature to be able to roll up your unused water bottles and tuck them away. The 2 liter version also only weighs 1 ounce, or 28 grams, so a great choice for the lightweight hiker.
- Klean Kanteen Stainless Steel - If you don't like plastic, there is always stainless steel. It's an extremely strong material that you wont ever have to worry about damaging. That extra strength costs you in the weight department, however, as the 27 ounce version weighs 8 ounces, or 226 grams, which is considerably more than the other two options. So if you want strength this is a great choice, but lightweight it is not.