No one ever really expects to have to use a first aid kit while camping, but then if you do find yourself in a situation where you need that first aid kit, you better hope that either you or someone that you're with thought to bring one. And even in non-emergency situations, like a simple blister on a foot, a first aid kit can help alleviate the problem, and prevent it from becoming something worse. A first aid kit for camping doesn't have to be particularly big either, as long as it has the basics.
First Aid Kit - CampingWhat to look for when buying a first aid kit for taking camping.
- Waterproof - Many items that you find inside a first aid kit will be sensitive to water. Bandages, for instance, will quickly become useless if exposed to enough water. And there is plenty of water in the outdoors. For that reason, it's important that you either buy a first aid kit that comes in a waterproof container, or else put your first aid kit in something waterproof. Something as simple as a ziplock bag will do.
- Essential Items - There's nothing wrong with getting a small, lightweight first aid kit for taking camping, but you should make sure that it has essential items, such as bandages and supplies for cleaning a wound. For camping, items like moleskin are also a smart addition, as foot problems are one of the more common medical problems experienced by campers, hikers and backpackers.
Best First Aid Kit - CampingA few of the better camping first aid kits to choose from.
- Adventure Medical Weekender First Aid Kit - If you find yourself responsible for the first aid needs of a larger group, then you will need a larger first aid kit, which is what the Weekender is. It's suitable for 1-6 people for up to 7 days. It includes all the essentials that you would need, plus a few extras, like disposable thermometers and instruction booklets for a variety of different medical problems that will be handy for less experienced first aid practitioners. It weighs 1.6 pounds, or 737 grams.
- Adventure Medical .9 First Aid Kit - Another medical kit from Adventure Medical, this one designed with lightweight backpackers and campers in mind. It contains enough supplies for 1-4 people for four days, yet only weighs 10.4 ounces, or 295 grams. It contains all the basics, and is also waterproof, which is extremely handy.
- Adventure Medical .3 First Aid Kit - If you're only responsible for your own first aid needs and want something as lightweight as possible, this is an excellent choice. It contains just the basics, and a minimal amount of them, and comes in a plastic, resealable bag. The whole kit only weighs 3 ounces, or 85 grams, making it an ideal choice for solo, lightweight backpackers and campers.