There are the big things that you need for camping, like a sleeping bag and a tent, and then there are all the little things that you need for a good camping trip, like a camping water bottle. You might think that a camping water bottle is a simple enough choice to make, but even in the area of water bottles, camping manufacturers have made a number of innovations, so that there is quite a lot to choose from when it comes to water bottles for camping.
Camping Water BottleWhat to look for from a good camping water bottle.
- Lightweight - Water is already heavy enough, so there is no reason to add to the weight by lugging around a heavy water bottle too. For those who are carrying their camping gear in a backpack, this point is especially important, but if you're car camping or something similar, you might not care as much.
- Chemical Free - Many camping water bottles were guilty of using plastics that gave off BPA in to the water that you then drank. While manufacturers have generally addressed the BPA problem, there is always the possibility of other chemicals lurking in plastics. Many people stick to stainless steel for this reason, and if you're worried about it, stainless steel is definitely a viable option with less risks in this department.
Best Camping Water BottleThe very best camping water bottles.
- Kleen Kanteen Stainless Steel Bottle - If you want to stay away from plastics and prefer stainless steel instead, you wont do much better than the Kanteen from Kleen. The Kanteen comes in four different sizes, from 12 ounces, or 350 ml, up to 40 ounces, or 1.2 liters. Stainless steel is not light, however, and the smallest Kanteen weighs 4 ounces, or 113 grams, while the largest weighs 11 ounces, or 312 grams.
- Nalgene Wide-Mouth Loop Top Round Bottle - It's hard to beat a classic. Nalgenes are durable, relatively light and have all the right features that a water bottle can have, the wide mouth in particular coming in handy a lot. This particular model holds 32 ounces, or .95 liters, and weighs 3.5 ounces, or 100 grams.
- Platypus Platy Plus Bottle - The Platy Plus is something a little different. The most frustrating thing about water bottles for backpackers is that when you're not using them they're extremely bulky. The Platy Plus solves that problem. It's made out of a flexible plastic that can actually be flattened and rolled up when not in use. It's also much lighter than either of the other two options, at just 1 ounce, or 28 grams for the 2 liter option. It also comes in a 1 liter size.