You wouldn’t think that there are many differences between two different water bottles, but the best water bottle for hiking is actually quite a bit different than your average water bottle. For example, water is heavy, but a water bottle can also be extremely heavy, and there are some very lightweight options out there. You might also want a bigger water bottle for hiking, so that you have plenty of water, rather than not having enough and having to ration yourself.
Best Water Bottle for HikingWhat to look for when you want the best water bottle for hiking with.
- Material – Different water bottles are made with different materials, each of which has distinct advantages and disadvantages. Stainless steel, for instance, is very durable and strong, but also much heavier than something like plastic, which can also be quite durable, but not to the same degree that stainless steel is.
- Capacity – Water bottles for hiking come in all different shapes and sizes. You might, for instance, want one large water reservoir to draw from, so that on a long day in hot temperatures you don’t have to worry about finding a water source and cleaning that water, and can just refill from your water reservoir.
Best Water Bottle for Hiking ReviewsReviews of a select few of the best water bottles for hiking with.
- Platypus Platty Plus Bottle - The Platty is perfect for the hiker or backpacker looking for an innovative way to save on weight and bulk. The Platty Plus is actually made from flexible plastic, rather than hard plastic like a nalgene bottle, so that the structure of the bottle is provided, in part, by the water inside the bottle. And of course when you empty the bottle out it folds up inside your backpack, so that it takes up as little space as possible. It comes in a 1 liter and 2 liter size, the 1 liter weighing .8 ounces, or 22 grams.
- Nalgene Wide Mouth Loop Top Bottle - The Nalgene Wide Mouth bottle is an absolute classic. This generation of the popular is BPA free, which is a definite bonus, but other than that it's the same Nalgene bottle that most people are familiar with already. It will hold .95 liters, has the loop on the lid so that you don't lose the lid and also so that you have something to hang the bottle by. The whole thing weighs in at 3.5 ounces, or 100 grams. So a definite classic.
- Liberty Bottleworks Aluminum Water Bottle - Most metal water bottles are made from stainless steel, since stainless steel is so tough. But stainless steel is also very heavy, whereas something like aluminum is quite a bit lighter, and if constructed properly, relatively strong. This aluminum water bottle from Liberty Bottleworks is actually made in the US from recycled aluminum, will hold .7 liters of water and weighs a very impressive .5 ounces, or 14 ounces, making it the lightest water bottle on the list, and a great choice, as long as you're the kind of person that doesn't try their gear too roughly.