There are many potential materials to buy a jacket in, but fleece is definitely one of the best. It can be warm or breathable, depending on what kind of fleece it is, and fleece also does a good job of shedding small amounts of water, so that it’s a definite option even when the weather is a little questionable. If you’re looking for just one jacket for camping, backpacking or hiking, men’s and women’s fleece jackets are a great option that will do it all.
Women’s Fleece JacketsOptions available to you when buying a new fleece jacket.
- Hood – If you like to stay active, and want a fleece jacket that can keep up, then you should definitely consider getting a fleece jacket with a hood. A hood allows you a great deal of control over your body temperature, because so much body heat escapes from the head, and keeping that warmth in, and reflecting it, can make you a lot warmer.
- Thickness – Fleece is a fairly unique fabric, in that it comes in both a wide variety of thicknesses and densities. A thick, dense fleece jacket will be extremely warm and windproof, while a thin, less dense fleece jacket will be much more breathable. Consider what you want before you start your research.
Best Women’s Fleece JacketsSome of the better fleece jackets for women that are currently available.
- Mountain Hardwear Monkey Woman Fleece - The Monkey lives up to its name with thick, plush fabric that does an okay job of representing fur. It's thick, but not dense, so you stay warm but it also breathes very well. It doesn't come with a hood, but does have two zippered hand pockets, plus a zippered chest pocket. A great fleece jacket for staying warm in.
- The North Face WindWall 2 Fleece - The WindWall is a great all around option. It's relatively thick, to keep you warm, and as the name suggests it's dense enough to eliminate just about all wind chill. And the hood makes it easy to stay warm when you get really cold, and then cool off when you're feeling toasty warm again. It also comes with two zippered hand pockets and a zippered chest pocket.
- Marmot Flashpoint Hoody - The Flashpoint has a design similar to that of the WindWall above, but uses a thinner weight of fleece, so not as much warmth, and a bit more breathable. But it has two zippered hand pockets on either side, a zippered chest pocket and a hood, so that you have plenty of options to stay as warm as possible. So a good fleece jacket for relatively mild conditions.