While most sleeping bags come with a sleeping bag stuff sack appropriately sized or that particular sleeping bag, yours may not. Or perhaps you lost or damaged your stuff sack, or even want a compression stuff sack that will make it easier and more convenient to carry your sleeping bag. Whatever the case, there are some excellent sleeping bag stuff sacks out there to choose from, just as long as you know what to look for while shopping.
Sleeping Bag Stuff SackWhat to look for when you want a sleeping bag stuff sack.
- Compression – One of the best things about packing a sleeping bag is that they compress down so much. And many sleeping bag stuff sacks take this in to account, and give you some way to compress your sleeping bag, so that it ends up taking up as little room as possible, leaving more room for other, more important things.
- Waterproof – Another thing that you might definitely want your sleeping bag stuff sack to do is keep your sleeping bag dry. Materials like eVent, for instance, do an excellent job of keeping your sleeping bag dry, though they do tend to cost more than something like basic nylon, which is not waterproof.
Best Sleeping Bag Stuff SackSome of the best sleeping bag stuff sacks to stuff your sleeping bag in to.
- Sea to Summit eVent Compression Dry Sack - This is a great, solid choice for a sleeping bag stuff sack. First, it has compression straps, as the name suggests, so that you can get your sleeping bag as small as possible. It's also made with eVent, a lightweight but waterproof material, so you can be sure your sleeping bag will stay dry, even if your other gear doesn't. Finally, it comes in five different sizes, and even better, won the 2007 Backpacker magazine Editor's Choice award. A seriously good stuff sack for your sleeping bag.
- Therm-A-Rest Stuff Sack Pillow - This isn't a compression sack, you just stuff your sleeping bag in and it's as big as it is. It's nylon, with a durable water repellent finish, so it's water resistant, rather than waterproof. But what really stands out about this particular sleeping bag stuff sack is that it has a plush liner on the inside, so that when you pull your sleeping bag out you can turn it inside out, stuff something else in and you instantly have a pillow, which is a fantastic feature that a lot of people will appreciate.
- Granite Gear Round Rock Solid Compression Sack - Another sleeping bag stuff sack, this one with compression straps so that you can make it as small as possible. It's just basic nylon for the exterior, however, so it's not waterproof or even all that water resistant, but as long as you keep your backpack dry that's not a huge problem. It also comes in an impressive 7 different sizes, so you can be sure that there is a size for you.