A good hiking shirt is an important piece of gear if you expect to really enjoy yourself on the trail. Hiking shirts should breath well, wick sweat away and dry fast too, so that whether they collect moisture from you or from the environment, they don't stay damp and wet for long.
Hiking ShirtsFeatures to keep an eye out for when reviewing hiking shirts.
- Breathable - Hiking shirts should be breathable. Just about everyone sweats here and there when hiking, after all, and it's best if that sweat is allowed to dissipate, rather than collect on your hiking shirt.
- Quick Drying - And if your sweat does collect on your hiking shirt, or if you get caught in a little bit of rain, it helps if your hiking shirt can dry quickly. Whether it's body heat or the sun, a good hiking shirt will dry quickly from any moisture that collects.
Best Hiking ShirtsThe best hiking shirts, broken down by gender.
Best Men's Shirts
- ExOfficio Air Strip Lite LS - The Air Strip is a classic hiking shirt. It's button up, collar design looks just as good on the trail as it does in town. The sleeves can stay down, or you can roll them up and hold them in place with the built in tabs. The Air Strip is made from a nylon, polyester combination, so it will dry quickly and not rub too much if you're carrying a backpack. Plenty of ventilation and UPF 30+ sun protection round out the feature list of this excellent men's hiking shirt.
- Icebreaker SuperFine Tech Lite T-Shirt - If you're looking for something short sleeve, this product from Icebreaker is ideal. It's actually made from merino wool, but not the thick, scratchy kind. Wool is actually an ideal material for hiking shirts, because it breathes extremely well, and wicks moisture extremely well. The finer, high quality wool also feels great against the skin. Wool also does not retain nearly as much odor as something like nylon or cotton, which is another big plus for a hiking shirt.
Best Women's Shirts
- REI Venturi Quarter-Zip Shirt - The Venturi is a stylish hiking shirt equally suited to both the trail and the town. It's a polyester and spandex combination, which stretches, breathes, wicks moisture well and feels great against the skin. A deep front zipper and underarm ventilation help regulate temperature, and an upper arm, zippered pocket gives you somewhere to store a few small essentials. Finally, UPF +50 protection makes it ideal for sunny weather.
- Icebreaker SuperFine 150 Tech Lite T-Shirt - A very similar hiking shirt to the Icebreaker shirt in the men's hiking shirts section. It's made of wool, but not the scratchy sweater kind. This is high quality, extremely fine wool. Wool both breathes and insulates well, and wicks moisture away from the skin quickly, without retaining much or any of it. You also have a few different colors to choose from, which is another nice touch.