If you don’t mind getting a little cozy with another person, then a double sleeping pad is an ideal way to go camping. There aren’t, unfortunately, too many lightweight double sleeping pads out there, so if you’re thinking that you’re going to be saving a significant amount of weight, like you would with a 2 person tent, you’re better off going with two single person sleeping pads. But for getting cozy, a double sleeping pad is an ideal solution.
Double Sleeping PadWhat you want to look for from a double sleeping pad.
- Foam or Inflatable – There aren’t too many double sleeping pads out there, but you still need to decide on whether you want a foam or an inflatable sleeping pad. Inflatable sleeping pads are ideal for one person, but with two people, one person moving around might end up disturbing the sleep of the other.
- R-Value – Another thing to consider when buying a double sleeping pad is the R-value. R-value is a measurement of the warmth that your sleeping pad will reflect. In winter, a sleeping pad with a high R-value, which means it will reflect a lot of body heat, is a very useful piece of gear to have.
Best Double Sleeping PadThere aren't many of them, but here are some of the best double sleeping pads.
- Exped MultiMat Sleeping Mat - The MultiMat is a very versatile piece gear that can be used as a sitting mat for lunch on cold wet ground, as a way to keep gear dry or even as a very thin double sleeping pad. And it really is quite thin, at just 2 millimeters, plus a nylon cover on one side. So not the most comfortable sleeping pad, but for warm summer conditions it might be acceptable. It weighs 12 ounces, or 340 grams.
- Therm-A-Rest Down Coupler - This is a coupler from Therm-A-Rest, which means it attaches two sleeping pads together, and is not, itself, a sleeping pad. It does, however, add quite a bit of warmth to a sleeping pad, since it is stuffed with 650 fill down. So not a sleeping pad, but a very useful piece of gear for winter camping or backpacking. It comes in three different sizes to accommodate different sizes of sleeping pads, with the large weighing 1 pound 7 ounces, or 652 grams.
- Nemo Cosmo Pillowtop - The Cosmo Pillowtop is designed as a coupler for the Nemo Cosmo sleeping pad, but it also adds 1 inch of foam padding to the top of the sleeping pad, and since 1 inch is thicker than many foam sleeping pads, it also makes a great double sleeping pad all by itself. And if you want to add more padding, you can always get your hands on a couple of Nemo Cosmo sleeping pads to stuff inside. At 4.6 pounds or 2.1 kilograms, however, it's certainly not a lightweight option for how much padding you get.