When it comes to hiking gear, hiking boots can be one of the more expensive items on the list, often getting up over $200, and sometimes hitting $300. Finding a good pair of cheap hiking boots, then, can help save quite a lot of money when outfitting yourself with hiking gear. And provided that you know that features to look for, there is no reason that you cant find a good, quality pair of hiking boots at a reasonable price point.
Cheap Hiking BootsWhat to look for when you are trying to find a good pair of cheap hiking boots.
- Waterproof - If you don't need your hiking boots to be waterproof, if you only go hiking in summer conditions, for instance, then there is no reason not to go with a pair of hiking boots that are just water resistant instead. Your feet will likely breath better, and will be less suffocated in your shoe, the shoes will likely be lighter, and you will also save money, as good waterproofing tends to be expensive.
- Ankle Height - If you're just hiking, and not carrying a heavy backpack, then you don't really need the full ankle support found on bigger, more expensive hiking boots, and would probably do fine with something like a mid height boot. This will still provide some ankle support, just like a boot, but will still have a lower profile, and typically, a lower price.
Best Cheap Hiking BootsA few of the better pairs of cheap hiking boots currently on the market.
Cheap Hiking Boots for Men
- Keen Pyrenees Hiking Boot - These are a great pair of lighter hiking boots from Keen. They have a leather outer, which means they're fairly durable, and the leather helps to keep water out as well. They also have a waterproof liner developed by Keen to help keep your feet dry. At 34 ounces, or 963 grams, they wont be breaking any lightweight records, but they are quite a bit lighter than many other hiking boots.
- Vasque Sundowner GTX Boot - On paper the Sundowners have a build similar to the Keen hiking boots above, with a leather outer and a Gore-Tex liner inside. But the Sundowner has a style more reminiscent of classic hiking boots, and the Gore-Tex liner is likely a significant improvement over Keen's waterproof liner. They weigh 54 ounces or 1.53 kilograms, so definitely not lightweight, but you cant have everything.
Cheap Hiking Boots for Women
- Vasque Breeze GTX Hiking Boot - These hiking boots from Vasque have a combination leather and mesh outer, and an XCR Gore-Tex liner inside to give your feet some breathability while still keeping water out. They're not the lightest boots ever, at 38 ounces, which is 1077 grams, but the price is quite reasonable.
- Keen Targhee III Mid Hiking Boots - The Targhee is a mid height boot that will give you a good amount of ankle support, but not as much as a more traditional hiking boot. The nylon mesh and leather outer, combined with Keen's waterproof liner will keep you reasonably dry, and at 30 ounces, or 850 grams, they're also reasonably lightweight.