While camping you likely stay fairly active. You sweat, are exposed to a wide variety of temperatures, and maybe even some ugly weather, like rain or a wind storm. At the same time, you’re hoping that the sun will shine, and sometimes it even works out like that. You need camping shirts that can handle all of that, and hopefully just one shirt that can do the job. As long as you’re will to look past the cotton shirts in your closet and invest in something that will last, camping shirts can handle just about anything you throw at them.
Camping ShirtsFeatures to consider when you're buying a new camping shirt.
- Material – Whatever material you decide to get a camping shirt in, you should definitely decide to leave the cotton shirts at home. Wool is a good option, though not the scratchy sweater kind. Wool regulates temperature very well, and is a natural antimicrobial. Nylon is another good choice, because of its ability to dry quickly.
- Collar and Sleeves – While a simple t-shirt has a certain appeal, options like long sleeves and a collar give you a few more options. When it gets cold, for instance, you can put the sleeves down, and when the sun comes out, to give another example, you and your neck will be thankful that you have collars to help protect your skin.
Best Camping ShirtsSome of the better camping shirts for men and women.
Men's Camping Shirts
- ExOfficio Air Strip Lite Shirt - First up, a classic button down adventure shirt from ExOfficio. The collar will help protect you from the sun, while the sleeves work equally well down and rolled up. And it looks just as good around town as it does on the trail. Additional features like it being made of fast drying nylon, for when things get wet, a UPF 30 rating and a few discreet vents so that you don't overheat help to set this apart as one of the best camping shirts out there.
- Icebreaker Superfine 150 Shirt - This is actually a wool t-shirt, but not the scratchy wool that most people associate with sweaters. It's a tightly woven, extremely soft and fine wool that feels great against the skin. Wool also wicks moisture extremely well, breathes well and is a natural material. Wool is also a natural anti-microbial, which helps to keep you smelling fresh throughout the day.
Women's Camping Shirts
- Royal Robbins Expedition Shirt - The classic button down looks good around town, and also helps to conceal a few of this camping shirts better features. It has an impressive UPF 50 rating, for starters, and though it's polyester it's been treated to dry especially fast. It also has mesh in a few more discreet areas, so that you never overheat. A great camping shirt for the trail and town too.
- Icebreaker GT 150 Dash Crew - Wool is not the material that most people turn to for camping clothing, because most people associate with scratchy sweaters and other scratchy garments. But this is super fine, soft wool that will feel great against your skin. You also get the many benefits of using wool, such as it's excellent breathability and the fact that it's a natural anti-microbial, so you smell just as good at the end of the trip as you did at the start.