Though most sleeping pads are designed for just one person, it is certainly possible to find a 2 person sleeping pad, if you would like to get close and cozy with another person while sleeping in the outdoors. But a 2 person sleeping pad, unlike a 2 person tent, is not a good way to save weight with your camping or backpacking gear. There aren’t many 2 person sleeping pads out there, and you’re better off with two lightweight, single person sleeping pads if you want to save weight.
2 Person Sleeping PadWhat to look at when you want a 2 person sleeping pad.
- Foam or Inflatable – With 2 people on an inflatable sleeping pad there is a much greater risk that one person shifting around will disturb the sleep of the other person. So while an 2 person inflatable sleeping pad is certainly an option, you might find yourself getting a better sleep with a 2 person foam sleeping pad.
- R-Value – Regardless of the size of your sleeping pad, you need to decide on what season you’re going to be using it in. For winter camping, you want a sleeping pad with a high R-value, R-value being a measurement of how much heat your sleeping pad will reflect. In summer, it’s not nearly as important to have a warm sleeping pad.
Best 2 Person Sleeping PadThere aren't many options, but these are the best 2 person sleeping pads.
- Therm-A-Rest Down Coupler - This is actually a coupler, as the name suggests, which means it's typically used to join two sleeping pads together, rather than work, by itself, as a sleeping pad. It is, however, filled with 650 fill down, which wont provide much in the way of padding, unfortunately, but does add quite a bit of warmth, making it a great option for joining two sleeping pads in winter conditions. The large weighs 1 pound 7 ounces, which is 652 grams.
- Exped MultiMat - The MultiMat is, as the name suggests, a mat that can be used for a wide variety of different things, including sleeping on. But at just 2 millimeters thin, it would make for a rather uncomfortable sleeping surface, unless you enjoy a hard sleeping surface. That said, if you can make it work as a sleeping pad for you, it weighs just 12 ounces, which is 340 grams, and a very reasonable weight for a 2 person sleeping pad.
- Nemo Cosmo Pillowtop - The Pillowtop from Cosmo is another coupler, though it's a foam padded coupler, and at 1 inch thick is actually thicker than many 1 person foam sleeping pads all by itself. So if you wanted to use it as a straight sleeping pad you would be more than comfortable, and of course you could always get your hands on a couple of Nemo Cosmo sleeping pads to couple together, which would add even more comfort to your sleeping experience. It weighs 4.6 pounds, which is 2.1 kilograms.