Winter Camping - Gear
- Winter Sleeping Bag - A warm sleeping bag is one of the most important considerations when heading out to do some winter camping. The last thing you want to do is shiver all night, so especially in the winter, it's always better to error on the side of caution. Mont Bell makes a wide range of well made and well reviewed sleeping bags suitable for winter conditions, but if you really want to find the right sleeping bag for you, check out the sleeping bags list to compare features on a wide selection of sleeping bags.
- Winter Sleeping Pad - Another crucial piece of winter camping gear is your sleeping pad. Though many people don't realize it, you lose a lot of heat in to whatever is below you. That's why sleeping pad manufacturers often advertise an R-value, which is a measurement of the insulating capabilities of a sleeping pad. Exped is one sleeping pad manufacturer that makes a lot of well reviewed sleeping pads with high R-values, but you can also head over to the sleeping pads list to compare most of the sleeping pads on the market by their R-value and more.
- Winter Tent - The last you want when winter camping is to find yourself in a storm you are unprepared to weather. Having had a tent collapse on me before, I can tell you that it pays to have a tent that you know can handle high winds and lots of moisture. The best way to find a good tent for winter camping is to look for four season tents. You can find most of the four season tents on the market, and compare them by features like weight, over at the lightweight tents list.
Winter Camping - Clothing
- Mont Bell U.L. Down Inner Jacket (and the Women's version) - When you head out to do any winter camping, staying warm should be one of your chief concerns, and the best way to do that is with a down jacket. Down will keep you warm, shield you from the wind and best of all, it weighs next to nothing. It also layers well with other pieces of gear. Unlike a heavy fleece, a down inner jacket is an ideal addition to a winter camping gear bag. Mont Bell's products are also rated very well, and are dependable.
- Mont Bell U.L. Down Inner Pants (and the Women's version) - You should keep the lower half of your body as warm as your upper half, and down garments work equally well there too. Mont Bell makes a line of inner down pants to go along with the inner down jackets. They feature the same excellent construction and reviews that the Mont Bell down jackets get, so if you're looking to keep your legs warm while winter camping, consider these inner pants from Mont Bell.
Winter Camping - Why You Should do itThere are a couple of really great reasons why you should go winter camping. One big advantage to camping in the winter is that there are going to be a lot less people out on the trail. It's never much fun, after all, to head out to the wilderness, only to find that everyone else has had the same thought too.
Another great reason to enjoy a bit of winter camping is that the natural world changes in the winter, and you're likely to see all kinds of sights that you wouldn't see in the summer. Different wildlife, for instance, and if you're lucky enough to go camping somewhere with ample amounts of snow, you might see some really spectacular vistas.
Winter Camping - Safety ConcernsOf course there are always safety concerns when camping, and especially when winter camping. In addition to the usual concerns, you also have to plan for cold weather, storms, and maybe even snow, depending on where you are. A big part of being prepared is taking along the proper gear with you when going winter camping.
When venturing out in to the wilderness, regardless of the season, a big part of being safe is being prepared.