Most people don’t fail to take adequate precautions when it comes to keeping their upper body dry and warm, but campers, backpackers and hikers often find themselves with cold legs, for lack of a good insulating layer. Wool hiking pants are a great way to solve that problem. They’re typically worn underneath another outer layer, and keep your legs nice and toasty warm, while also wicking moisture away from the skin, which wool is great at doing.
Wool Hiking PantsWhat to look for when you're shopping for wool hiking pants.
- Thickness – When selecting a pair of wool hiking pants it’s important to get a thickness appropriate for the weather that you’re likely to find yourself in. You don’t want to get big, thick wool pants when you needed thin ones, because taking off that inner layer of pants can be a trying process.
- Tight – The tighter your wool hiking pants are, the warmer they will be. A layer that is right against your skin will hold your body heat right against the skin, whereas something with a little more breathing room will allow for a lot more air circulation, and thus a lot more room for heat to dissipate.
Best Wool Hiking PantsSome of the very best wool hiking pant options, for both men and women.
Men's Wool Hiking Pants
- Stoic Merino Bottoms - If all you need is a lightweight pair of wool hiking pants, then this option from Stoic is ideal. They're a blend of high quality merino wool and spandex, for a close fitting, stretchy fit. They will wick moisture well, and of course wool is a natural anti-microbial, so it doesn't absorb much in the way of smells. A great wool hiking pant option if you like to stay active.
- SmartWool Midweight Long Underwear - If you're looking for something a little warmer, then a midweight option, like these from SmartWool, is a better fit. They're 100% wool, and being a little thicker, they will add more warmth, but will still wick moisture away, and will resist odors, just like any other wool product.
Women's Wool Hiking Pants
- Stoic Merino Bottoms - The same basic design as the Stoic product above in the men's section, but with a more feminine cut. These are a lightweight option, a blend of spandex and wool, so ideal for those that like to stay active, and need something that will add a bit of warmth but still breathe well. And of course they come with one of the main advantages of wool, which is that it's a natural anti-microbial, and absorbs very little in the way of odors.
- SmartWool Midweight Long Underwear - If you want more warmth and less breathability, then a midweight wool hiking pant is what you want. These are 100% wool, and being thicker than the Stoic option, will add more warmth, so a better option for those cold days. But they're still wool, and will wick moisture and absorb only a limited amount of odor, just like any other wool product.