When winter rolls around and you go outside you need something that is going to keep the cold at bay, and a good piece of gear to do just that is a winter fleece jacket. What makes winter fleece jackets such a good item to have in winter conditions is, for starters, that they come in a variety of thicknesses. Fleece is also naturally good at repelling water, and wont absorb water like another fabric, like cotton might. Not that many people would be silly enough to wear a cotton outer layer in winter.
Winter Fleece JacketsWhat to look for when you're reviewing winter fleece jackets.
- Thickness – As alluded to above, fleece comes in a variety of thicknesses, starting with micro fleece, which is the thinnest, which is followed by 100, 200 and then 300 weight fleece. So for a winter fleece jacket, you would likely want to stick to 300, and maybe 200 fleece jackets.
- Hardened – Cold isn’t the only thing you usually have to worry about in the winter. Wind is another winter weather condition that can wreak havoc. Fortunately, many fleece jackets have hardened outer surfaces, which make them a lot better at deflecting wind, rather than letting it penetrate through to you.
Best Winter Fleece JacketsSome of the best winter fleece jacket options for both men and women.
- Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man Fleece Jacket (Women's) - This is a great winter jacket for around town and a few adventures in the outdoors too. It's not a hardened outer surface, rather it's a fluffy, piled outer surface, which does help to cut down on wind and moisture penetration. It's also heavy 300 weight fleece, which is the thickest option when it comes to fleece, and the best option for winter weather. Beyond that it comes with a couple zippered hand pockets, a zippered chest pocket and no hood. It's also has the lowest price of any of the jackets on this list.
- Patagonia R4 Jacket (Women's) - Patagonia doesn't list what thickness of fleece they use for their R4 jacket, but it's their thickest and warmest one, and the one best suited for winter conditions. It's similar to the Monkey Man above, without the unique outer surface, but also not a hardened outer surface. It does come with a more athletic cut, however, so a better option for layering. It also comes with a zippered chest pocket, along with two zippered hand warmer pockets.
- Arc'teryx Hyllus Fleece Hooded Jacket (Women's) - The Hyllus is the winter fleece jacket you want when you're having winter adventures in the outdoors. It's made with 300 weight fleece, which is complimented by a hardened outer surface, which helps to protect you from the wind and the rain, or snow. The Hyllus also has a hood, with a drawcord, so you can really get out of the weather as much as possible. It has a couple of hand warmer pockets, plus a zippered storage pocket on the sleeve. So not a cheap option, certainly, but the best technical fleece jacket for winter conditions.