Hiking is a lot of fun, but not with wet feet. Which is why it’s important to get a good pair of waterproof hiking shoes, especially if you like to head out in spring, winter or fall. It’s important to keep in mind, however, that waterproof hiking boots can be a little stuffy, and usually do not breath well. If it’s important to you to have a good, breathable pair hiking shoes, then you should pay close attention to the material used for your waterproof hiking shoes.
Waterproof Hiking ShoesA few things to watch for when you're shopping for a new pair of waterproof hiking shoes.
- Breathability – When you get waterproof hiking shoes you don’t want to forget about breathability. Preventing water from getting in to your boots is important, after all, but if your feet cant breath and your feet end up sweating, your feet will get wet. So try to find a balance between waterproof and breathable.
- Weight – Waterproof often means heavy, but it doesn’t have to. There are many hiking shoe manufacturers out there who use wonderful construction techniques and materials to make lightweight waterproof hiking shoes. You often have to be careful with the durability of such products, but if you know what you’re looking for you can find a good balance.
Best Waterproof Hiking ShoesA few of the better choices when it comes to waterproof hiking shoes, broken down for men and women.
Men's Waterproof Hiking Shoes
- Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX - First, a really solid pair of waterproof hiking shoes from Salomon. They use the XCR version of Gore-Tex, which is little more breathable than the stuff that gets used for jackets. They also have the one pull lace system that's common to many Salomon shoes. The total weight for the pair is 1 pound 12.4 ounces, which is 810 kilograms, which is not lightweight, but not especially heavy either.
- Merrell Moab GTX XCR - Another pair of waterproof hiking shoes, also with a Gore-Tex XCR liner that will both keep your feet dry and breath well. Merrell tends to make a comfortable shoe, and beyond that you get a few extras, like toe bumpers and a vibram sole, that help with durability and comfort. The pair weighs 1 pound 8 ounces, or 680 grams, which is a little lighter than the Salomons.
Women's Waterproof Hiking Shoes
- Keen Alamosa WP - First up, a good pair of waterproof hiking shoes from Keen. Whereas most footwear manufacturers use Gore-Tex liners to provide waterproofing Keen has their own proprietary waterproof liner. The shoe seems to get mostly positive reviews, and no complaints about water pouring in, so the liner must do a good job. The pair weighs 1 pound 10 ounces, which is 740 grams.
- Merrell Siren Sport GTX XCR - This is a waterproof hiking shoe similar to the Merrell Moab in the men's section above. You get a Gore-Tex XCR liner to both keep your feet dry and also breathing well. You also get a vibram sole and a bit of a toe bumper on front, both of which help with making your hiking shoes durable. The pair weighs a grand total of 1 pound 8 ounces, or 680 grams, which is the same as the men's Moabs.