Fleeces comes in a wide variety of thicknesses, but if your goal is to stay warm then a thick fleece jacket is what you need. A thick fleece jacket will not only keep you warm and toasty in even the coldest conditions, it will also help quite a bit to help cut down on wind chill. Thinner fleece jackets can be quite permeable, when it comes to the wind, and are not the best jacket to be caught out in wind with. But a thick fleece jacket is great for a wide variety of cold weather conditions.
Thick Fleece JacketWhat to look for when you want a thick fleece jacket.
- Hood – If a thick fleece jacket by itself wont cut it, as far as warmth goes, then a hood will help quite a bit. Your head is one of those areas of the body that just leaks heat, and so if your goal is to stay warm, there’s few things better than sticking something on your head, like a hood, to capture all that escaping heat and direct it back at you.
- Windproof – A thick fleece jacket, just by virtue of being thick will do a good job of cutting down on wind chill. But if you really want to be impervious to the wind, a thick fleece jacket with a hardened outer surface will be a lot more resistant to wind chill than just a thick fleece jacket.
Best Thick Fleece JacketSome of the best choices for a thick fleece jacket for men or women.
- Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man Fleece Jacket (Women's) - If you want a thick fleece jacket, there are few choices better than the Monkey Man (Monkey Woman for women). It's made with heavy 300 weight fleece, for starters, which is the thickest fleece available. It also has a raised, piled exterior that adds to your warmth, and the fleece's ability to keep wind and water at bay. No hood, but you do get a couple of zippered hand warmer pockets, plus one zippered chest pocket. A very thick, basic fleece.
- Arc'teryx Hyllus Hoody (Women's) - The Hyllus is a thick fleece jacket with some serious features that make it perfect for those who like to go and get active. It uses the heavy 300 weight fleece as well, but also has a hardened, soft shell exterior that makes it water and weather resistant. That, plus a hood, zippered hand warmer pockets and a small pocket on the arm for a few essentials make this the perfect fleece jacket for hiking, climbing mountains and everything in between.
- Patagonia R4 (Women's) - The R4 is the thickest and warmest fleece that Patagonia makes. The collar and cuffs are lined with microfleece, for a close but comfortable fit to keep heat in. It doesn't have a hood, but it does have a couple hand pockets, plus a zippered chest pocket. It also has a few small but thoughtful features, like shoulder yokes that are sightly offset, so that you don't have any discomfort from backpack straps. Another very good and very thick fleece jacket.