When it comes to shoes for hiking, you have a lot of different choices available. What is important, however, is that you choose a pair of hiking shoes that wont give you foot problems. When your feet are happy, after all, then you can enjoy the hiking experience. But when you start getting blisters and hot spots, every step can be uncomfortable or even painful, which makes everything else a lot less enjoyable, which is why you really need good shoes for hiking.
Shoes for HikingWhat to look at when you're looking for shoes for hiking.
- Weight – Heavier hiking shoes will tire you out faster. You wont notice much at first, but over an entire day of hiking, that slight addition of weight to your feet really starts to take its toll, and a pair of lightweight shoes for hiking will leave you feeling a lot better than a heavier pair would.
- Waterproof – Most hiking shoes are not waterproof, and leave waterproofing to the boots. But if you want a pair of waterproof shoes for hiking, there are some excellent options available to you. Just remember that you have to balance waterproof with breathable, which might be a more valuable option, especially for those hot summer days when there’s no water in sight.
Best Shoes for HikingSome of the very best shoes for hiking, for men and women too.
- Inov8 F-lite 195 Shoes - These are actually unisex hiking shoes, which is why there's no women's shoes linked to. The main feature of the F-Lite 195s is their weight. At just 6.8 ounces, or 195 grams they're extremely lightweight. They have a very thin sole, along with a mesh upper that will keep your feet well ventilated. They're definitely not waterproof, and are made for good weather, or for moving very fast in bad weather. So a pair of extremely lightweight shoes for hiking.
- New Balance MT10 Minimum Shoes (Women's) - The Minimus shoes are similar to the F-Lite shoes above, in that they're designed with minimalism in mind, as the name suggests. They have a relatively thin sole, and a mesh upper for plenty of ventilation, but at 14 ounces, which is 396 grams they're a bit more substantial than the F-Lite shoes. So another lightweight hiking shoe, but with a little more substance behind it, for those that treat their gear hard.
- The North Face Hedgehog III GTX XCR Shoes (Women's) - The Hedgehogs are at the other end of the spectrum from the two pairs above. They weigh 1 pound 3 ounces, or 538 grams, and have a thicker sole, for more padding, along with a a Gore Tex XCR liner to help keep your feet dry. So more of a traditional hiking shoe, with plenty of padding for what's underfoot, and even a way to keep your feet dry. They wont ventilate as well because of the waterproof liner, so maybe not the best choice for warm weather, but ideal shoes for hiking in wet weather.