There are many different potential fabrics to find hiking pants in, but few people would dispute that nylon hiking pants are the best. Nylon has a few things going for it, the first and most important being that it dries extremely fast. Sometimes your hiking pants get wet, after all, but with nylon you don’t have to worry about them staying wet long. Nylon also doesn’t rip easily, which is great because no one wants a big tear in their hiking pants with miles of trail still left to go.
Nylon Hiking PantsWhat to look for when you're looking for nylon hiking pants.
- Convertible – Regardless of the material you choose for your hiking pants, it’s a good idea to at least consider getting convertible nylon hiking pants, which will further increase the versatility of your hiking pants. That way, you have options for when the temperature is high, at mid day, and when the temperature is low, in the mornings and the evenings.
- Pockets – Pockets might seem like an afterthought, but are actually worth thinking about when it comes to hiking pants. Cargo pants pockets, for example, will come in handy for carrying a few extras, as will a zippered pocket or two for storing essentials that you don’t want to lose in the outdoors.
Best Nylon Hiking PantsSome of the very best nylon hiking pants, for both men and women.
Men's Nylon Hiking Pants
- Arc'teryx Rampart Pants - These are a solid, basic pair of nylon hiking pants from Arc'teryx. They're a blend of mostly nylon with a touch of spandex, to give you the best fit possible. They're not convertible, and come with smaller cargo pockets, as well as the basic hand pockets, for a little extra storage room. The perfect nylon hiking pants if you want something lightweight and simple. The pants linked to are a 30 inch inseam model, but there's also a 32 inch inseam available.
- ExOfficio Bugsaway Ziwa Convertible Pants - If you want features, however, the Ziwa pants have plenty of that to offer. They're convertible, for starters, and have a total of 5 pockets, two of which are zippered for extra security. And being nylon these will dry very quickly. They also come coated with a bug repellent, so bugs wont bother you when you're wearing these. And finally, they have a UPF 30 rating, so you don't have to worry about any sun burns. A very feature rich pair of nylon hiking pants.
Women's Nylon Hiking Pants
- Arc'teryx Parapet Pants - A simple, straightforward pair of nylon hiking pants for the person who just wants something that will get the job done. They have a few pockets, including a couple of leg pockets for extra storage. And being a blend of nylon and a touch of spandex, they will fit well and dry quickly, should they get wet. Nylon also breathes well, but in terms of features, these pants are fairly simple. So a good, basic pair of nylon hiking pants.
- ExOfficio Bugsaway Ziwa Convertible Pants - The Ziwa pants are the exact opposite of the Parapet pants above, managing to pack in an impressive list of features. They're convertible, and the nylon is coated with a bug repellent, so that you can leave the DEET at home. They also have a couple of zippered pockets, which are always handy, and have a UPF 30 rating, so that your legs are well protected from the sun. A really impressive all-around pair of nylon hiking pants.