When camping, you don't need a whole kitchen set to get by, but you do at least need a few essentials, such as a plate, so that you can have a good meal without spilling it all over yourself or the ground. Metal camping plates are particularly good because metal is actually quite lightweight, depending on what metal you choose to use, and also strong and able to take quite a bit of abuse, again depending on what metal you choose to go with. There are plastic alternatives, or course, but if you want your camping plate to really last, metal is an ideal choice.
Metal Camping PlatesWhat to look for when you are shopping for a new metal camping plate.
- Material - You've narrowed your choice down to metal, but there are still quite a few different metals that you can choose from. Stainless steel is strong, but heavy, and aluminum is lightweight, but not particularly strong. Titanium is both lightweight and relatively strong, but also quite expensive.
- High Sides - When camping, you're rarely lucky enough to be eating off of a flat surface, like a table. More likely, you will find yourself eating out of your lap, or something similar, in which case it pays to have high sides on your camping plate, to keep the food where it's supposed to be, and not all over you or the ground.
Best Metal Camping PlatesA few of the very best metal camping plates, in a few different material choices.
- Snow Peak Trek Titanium Plate - First, a great choice of plate from Snow Peak. It's titanium, so it doesn't weigh much, at just 2 ounces, or 56 grams. It's also a good size, with a 7.5 inch diameter, making it an ideal choice of metal camping plate for those who want to save on weight.
- MSR Alpine Plate - Another 7.5 inch diameter camping plate, this time made of stainless steel. Because of the stainless steel this plates weighs a bit more, at 4.4 ounces, or 126 grams. It will be strong though, and this particular plate has especially high sides too, which will come in handy if you're the kind of person that likes to load up a plate.
- Aluminum Dinner Plate - And finally, a basic aluminum camping plate. It has a 9 inch diameter, so larger than the other two plates, but the sides are only .6 inches high, so not a very significant lip there. But it weighs just 3 ounces, or 85 grams, so quite lightweight, especially when you consider that it's larger than the other two plates listed.