A good pair of hiking pants is an important piece of gear to own. Women’s and men’s hiking pants, the right hiking pants, can do quite a lot for you. The right hiking pants will breath well, and if they do get wet, either from your sweat or a little rain, they dry quickly. A good amount of pockets is important, and a few zippered pockets is even better. Regardless of what season it is, the right pair of hiking pants will keep you comfortable all day long.
Men’s Hiking PantsThings to be watching for when shopping for men's hiking pants.
- Nylon – There are a few different fabrics that you can choose from when buying a pair of hiking pants, buy nylon is the most popular, and the best by most standards. It is tear resistant first of all, but more importantly, it dries very quickly, so whether it gets wet from sweat or rain, you can count on it to be dry in a short amount of time.
- Convertible – Another feature to consider when it comes to men’s hiking pants is the ability to convert in to hiking shorts. Many hiking pants have a zipper around the knee that allow you to remove the bottom portion of the pants, quickly turning them in to a pair of shorts for when the weather improves and you start getting hot in pants.
Best Men’s Hiking PantsA few of the better pairs of men's hiking pants on the market.
- REI Adventure Pants - First, a very popular pair of hiking pants from REI. These aren't convertible, they're just a straight pair of hiking pants. They are, however, made of nylon, which will dry very quickly when wet, and they have plenty of zippered pocket space to store your essentials in while on the trail. They have a UPF 50+ rating too, so that you're well protected from the sun. These are the 30 inch inseams, which seem to be the most popular, and there are also 28 inch, 32 inch, 34 inch and 36 inch inseam options available.
- The North Face Paramount Peak Convertible Pants - Another pair of men's hiking pants, these ones convertible, as the name suggests. Beyond that they're DWR coated nylon, so not only will the pants dry quickly when wet, the DWR makes them water resistant, so these are an ideal option for wet conditions. They also have a UPF 30 rating, for sun protection, and come in a variety of sizes. An excellent option with some great features.
- Rail Riders Eco-Mesh Pants - One more pair of men's hiking pants, these with something a little different. These aren't convertible, but they do have a zipper running down the outside of either leg. Lowering the zipper exposes mesh, which provides plenty of ventilation to overheated legs. They're also nylon, to dry quickly, and have a few zippered pockets for stashing important stuff. One more thing that really stands out about these is that they have a bug repellent coating, making them a great option for backpacking and camping in bug heavy conditions.