Camping stoves have a wide range of weights, from the almost absurdly lightweight camping stove that you hardly even know you’re carrying, all the way up to the stoves that weight more than your tent, and you wish could just leave at your campsite. Fortunately for you, there are plenty of lightweight camping stoves to choose from, regardless of which kind of fuel you prefer to use. There are even a few that wont require you to bring any fuel at all.
Lightweight Camping StoveWhat to consider when you're buying a lightweight camping stove.
- Fuel Type – Just about every fuel source has lightweight stoves that will work with it, but some fuel sources are definitely better suited to lightweight design than others. Wood camping stoves, for instance, don’t require any fuel, beyond just what you need to actually get a spark going.
- Alternatives – Something else to consider when looking for your next camping stove is a camping stove that can use more than one fuel type. A wood camping stove, for instance, is a great piece of equipment, except for those times when there’s no wood around. Having a stove that will burn alcohol as well, plus a little alcohol might really come in handy in that situation.
Best Lightweight Camping StoveSome of the best lightweight camping stoves for your next outdoor adventure.
- Snow Peak LiteMax Stove - At just 1.9 ounces, or 53 grams this is one of the lightest canister stoves around. In fact you'll have to worry more about the weight of your fuel with a stove like this. The average boil time is about 5 minutes 30 seconds, depending on a whole lot of variables, of course. It's also extremely small, and folds up for easy storage when you're not using it. Just slip it on to your backpack and forget about it until you need it. A really portable, lightweight camping stove ideal for those who like to use canisters.
- MSR WhisperLite Sotve - The Whisperlite is a white gas stove, and while it weighs 11 ounces, or 311 grams, which is quite a bit more than the LiteMax above, that weight makes it one of the lightest liquid fuel stoves around, and so an excellent choice if you prefer white gas. It comes with a few convenient extras, like a wind screen, and has a respectable boil time of 3.9 minutes. It also folds up small enough to fit in a lot of pots, which is a convenient storage option. So a very lightweight white gas stove to take camping.
- Littlbug Junior Stove - The Junior is a combination of alcohol stove and wood burning stove, or any other solid fuel that you can get your hands on. It's made of stainless steel, which isn't the lightest material ever, but if you're burning wood, for instance, then you're probably not carrying your fuel with you, so that helps to cut down on the weight quite a bit. Even alcohol is a very lightweight fuel, because you don't need any special containers to carry it. It will boil water in about 5 minutes, depending on the fuel and conditions, and weighs 5.1 ounces, or 144 grams.