Snowshoeing is an activity that can be enjoyed by the whole family. But snowshoes are also very size specific, and adult snowshoes will likely be too much snowshoe for most kids to handle. For such situations, there are some excellent kids snowshoes available, that are appropriate to the size of the average child.
Kids SnowshoesWhat to look for one kids snowshoes.
- Lightweight - The lighter kids snowshoes are, the more fun those kids will have. Dragging around heavy snowshoes is a lot of work, after all, and this is doubly true for kids. So do your kids a favor, and ultimately yourself a favor, and get a pair of kids snowshoes that don't weigh too much.
- Easy Bindings - The bindings on kids snowshoes should be easy enough for any kid to figure out. Similarly, the bindings should fit a wide range of feet, so that are your kids age and their feet grow, you don't have to keep buying new pairs of snowshoes for them.
Best Kids SnowshoesThe best kids snowshoes.
- Tubbs Flex Jr. Snowshoe - The Flex Jr.s are best suited to kids age 6 to 10. They come with ample cleats, so kids wont be slipping and sliding around. The rear third of the snowshoe is also made of a more flexible plastic, which increases maneuverability and reduces the stress put on kid's legs. The recommended weight load for these snowshoes is 40 to 90 pounds, and they weigh 2 pounds, or 907 grams.
- MSR Denali Tyker Snowshoes - The Tyker snowshoes are another snowshoe ideal for kids. They fit children's shoe sizes 7.5 to 13.5, and have a recommended maximum weight load of 80 pounds. They also have three traction bars on the bottom, which will give kids better traction on slopes and uneven ground. This is in addition to molded plastic as well as metal cleats. The tab binding style is meant to be easy to use, even in the cold with mitten on. The Tykers weigh 1.9 pounds, or 878 grams.
- Tubbs Storm Kids Snowshoes - The Storm snowshoes from Tubbs are more of a traditional snowshoe in a kids size. They have the standard aluminum frame and nylon deck, and a more advanced binding and cleat system. If you want to venture off the beaten trail, or try a little backpacking with your kids, the more advanced features might be necessary. They weigh 2 pounds, or 907 grams.