With hiking shoes, as opposed to hiking boots, you don't have to worry quite as much about finding the perfect fit, but still, it helps to do your research on hiking shoes before buying. Fortunately, there are many excellent hiking shoes for men and women out there that will allow your feet to make it through the day without any major incidents. And that really is the measure of a good hiking shoe, if your feet can make it through a day or a couple days of hiking without any injuries.
Hiking Shoes for MenFeature to look for when reviewing hiking shoes for men.
- Waterproof - Depending on the season and the conditions where you do most of your hiking, you may or may not want to invest in a pair of waterproof hiking shoes. Waterproof is always nice to have, but generally, you have to sacrifice a bit of breathability to get it, so it's a bit of a trade off. Do you want your hiking shoes to be more waterproof, or more breathable?
- Breathable - Similar to the point made above, breathable hiking shoes are ideal, especially for hot, sunny conditions, but getting breathable shoes generally means that you have to get hiking shoes that are not waterproof. So decide what combination of waterproof and breathable you want, and go from there.
- Lightweight - Every pound of weight on your feet is roughly equivalent to 5 pounds on your back, in terms of energy expenditure, so the weight of your hiking shoes really does matter. Heavy hiking shoes will leave you exhausted at the end of the day, whereas lightweight hiking shoes will leave you with enough energy for a little more hiking.
Best Hiking Shoes for MenA few of the very best hiking shoes for men, based on the criteria above.
- Inov8 X-Talon 212 - Inov8 is a UK based company with a certain philosophy, which is to supply lightweight, durable shoes. The 212s are a perfect example of this. They weighs 7.5 ounces, or 212 grams, as the name suggests, which is extremely lightweight for a pair of hiking shoes. They have a sticky rubber sole, for excellent grip even in bad conditions, and a very breathable upper so that your feet can breath. They wont keep you dry, but they definitely will keep you energized and cool.
- Montrail Mountain Masochist - A hiking shoe similar to the 212s above, but from more well known manufacturer Montrail. The Mountain Masochists weigh 10.8 ounces, or 306 grams, so slightly heavier than the 212s, and are also quite porous throughout the upper, so they will breath well, but will not protect your feet from getting wet, should it rain. But another great, lightweight choice.
- Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX - If weight isn't your first concern, and you want something a little more durable and waterproof, then these are a great choice of hiking shoe from Salomon. They're waterproof, but use the Pro XCR version of Gore-Tex, which is relatively breathable, so your feet wont be suffocating. They also have plenty of traction, but at 1.78 pounds, or 810 grams, they are significantly heavier than either of the two options above.