Fleece comes in several different weights, starting with micro fleece, which is quite thin, which is followed by 100, 200 and 300 weight fleece, 300 being the thickest and heaviest. So if you want a heavy fleece jacket, what you need is a 300 weight fleece jacket, or possibly a 200 weight fleece jacket. With a fleece weight like that you will stay warm to far lower conditions than you otherwise would with something like micro fleece or 100 weight fleece.
Heavy Fleece JacketWhat to look for in a heavy fleece jacket.
- Hardened – Your fleece can be as heavy you as you want, but if you want a fleece that will resist wind chill and keep you warm, it’s best to get one with a hardened exterior. That way, wind chill bounces off of your heavy fleece jacket, rather than penetrating it.
- Pockets – If warmth is your goal then you should be looking for a few additional features from your fleece jacket to help keep you warm, like pockets. Another good thing to have if you want to stay warm is a hood, to trap all the warmth that otherwise escapes from the head.
Best Heavy Fleece JacketSome of the best options for a heavy fleece jacket, for both men and women.
- Arc'teryx Hyllus Fleece Hooded Jacket (Women's) - The Hyllus is a versatile and technical heavy fleece jacket, ideal for cold weather on isolated mountains. It has a hood, plus a couple of zippered hand warmer pockets to keep your head and fingers warm. It also has a hardened soft shell outer exterior to compliment the 300 weight fleece, so that you're protected as much as possible from both moisture and wind. So not a cheap option, but if you plan to be getting in to some bad weather, this is the heavy fleece jacket you want to be wearing.
- Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man Fleece Jacket (Women's) - Another heavy 300 weight fleece jacket, this one with something unusual. The outer surface is actually quite plush and piled, so that it has an almost furry texture. This actually helps to cut down, a bit, on wind, though obviously the outer surface isn't actually hardened. There's no hood, so you'll have to find another way to keep your head warm, but there are a couple of zippered hand warmer pockets, plus a zippered pocket on the chest for storing a few small essentials.
- Patagonia R4 Jacket (Women's) - The R4 is a good, solid but basic fleece jacket. There's no word on what exactly the weight of the fleece is, but it's Patagonia's heaviest fleece jacket, and their best option for those that want to stay warm. It also has a fairly low profile and athletic cut, so a good layering option. There's no hood, but like the Monkey Man above it has a couple of zippered hand pockets, plus one zippered chest pocket. So another solid heavy fleece jacket option for around town, hiking and the like.