When it comes to hiking shoes you can typically get waterproof or breathable, but it is difficult to get both. And while Gore Tex definitely gives you more waterproofing than it does breathability, Gore Tex wont make your feet sweat quite like some other waterproof materials will. It does breath a little. One of the big advantages of Gore Tex hiking shoes, however, is that it is a relatively lightweight method of waterproofing. And when it comes to hiking shoes, lightweight is always better.
Gore Tex Hiking ShoesThings it's good to find on Gore Tex hiking shoes.
- Gore Tex – It seems obvious, but Gore Tex is not the only method that manufacturers use to make hiking shoes waterproof, and just because a hiking shoe is advertised as waterproof, does not mean it uses Gore Tex. Typically Gore Tex is higher quality than other waterproofing methods, so make sure you get Gore Tex, and not some other waterproofing method.
- Lightweight – Just because you’re getting waterproof hiking shoes, doesn’t mean they have to be big, heavy weights on your feet. Remember that the main advantage that shoes have over boots is that they’re smaller and lighter. So don’t give up that advantage just to get a waterproof pair of hiking shoes.
Best Gore Tex Hiking ShoesSome of the better Gore Tex hiking shoes, for both men and women.
Men's Gore Tex Hiking Shoes
- Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX - First up a very solid pair of hiking shoes from Salomon with a Gore Tex XCR liner. They have Salomon's trademark single pull lacing system, and a breathable outer material to help the Gore Tex do its job. They're also relatively lightweight, at just 1 pound 12.4 ounces, or 810 grams.
- Patagonia Footwear Drifter GTX - Another pair of Gore Tex lined hiking shoes, but this pair with a more traditional design. The outer is all leather, which both looks good and helps to protect the boots, and the Gore Tex liner, from the use and abuse that the outside of hiking shoes so often experience. The sole is made by Vibram, another bonus, though at 2 pounds 1 ounce, or 935 grams, these aren't the lightest Gore Tex hiking shoes out there.
Women's Gore Tex Hiking Shoes
- Merrell Siren Sport Gore-Tex XCR - First up a good, solid pair of hiking shoes from Merrell. The Gore Tex liner, which is of the breathable, XCR variety, is joined by a combination of breathable synthetic and leather outer material. The leather is good because it helps to protect the shoe, and the Gore Tex liner, from the abuse that hiking shoes inevitably suffer. The sole is made by Vibram, which is always a good sign, and they weigh a very respectable 1 pound 5 ounces, or 590 grams.
- The North Face Hedgehog GTX XCR - Another pair of hiking shoes that uses a combination of leather and synthetic material for the outer, as well as a XCR Gore Tex liner to keep water out while remaining breathable. They even have Vibram soles, just the like the Sirens above. These are slightly heavier, however, at 1 pound 9 ounces, which is 714 grams.