An otherwise good day of hiking can be ruined by even the smallest foot problem, because no matter what you need to keep on walking, and when every step is progressively more painful and uncomfortable, there’s just no way to enjoy yourself. So getting good hiking shoes is important, especially if you want to enjoy the hiking experience. Fortunately, there are plenty of very good hiking shoes out there to choose from.
Good Hiking ShoesWhat to look for when you want good hiking shoes.
- Breathable – If you want something waterproof there are waterproof hiking shoes, but then if you expect to be getting wet a lot, you may be better off with boots. Good hiking shoes will allow air to circulate around your feet, so that they don’t get too sweaty, which can be the start of a variety of foot problems.
- Weight – Good hiking shoes are generally lightweight hiking shoes. Every pound on your feet is equal to about five on your back, in terms of your energy expended, and so it pays to have lightweight hiking shoes that wont tire you out too much. Being exhausted halfway through a hike, after all, does not make for a good second half.
Good Hiking Shoes ReviewsA few pairs of good hiking shoes for men and women.
Good Hiking Shoes for Men
- New Balance MT10 Minimus - First, a very minimalist, as the name suggests, pair of hiking shoes from New Balance. They're not waterproof, in fact they're extremely breathable. They're also low cut, and have a relatively thin Vibram sole with provides just a minimal amount of padding between you and the ground. They're simple and lightweight, and good hiking shoes for those warm days when you don't have to worry too much about cold, wet feet. They weigh in at about 14 ounces, or 396 grams.
- The North Face Hedgehog III GTX XCR Shoes - The Hedgehogs from North Face are the opposite of the Minimus shoes above. They use a XCR Gore Tex liner to provide waterproofing and keep your feet dry, though the upper is also mostly mesh, which doesn't do much to keep water out, but does help your feet breath well. The sole is a much more rugged Vibram sole. So another pair of good hiking shoes that are much better suited to bad weather.
Good Hiking Shoes for Women
- New Balance WT10 Minimus - The Minimus shoes are, as the name suggests, a pair of hiking shoes built with minimalism in mind. There really isn't much to them. The uppers are mostly just mesh, to facilitate as much ventilation as possible, while the sole is fairly thin and will provide only a small amount of cushion, though it is a Vibram sole, so you can count on it to keep you on your feet. But a fairly basic, minimal and lightweight pair of hiking shoes ideal for those hot, sunny summer days. The pair weighs 11 ounces, or 311 grams.
- The North Face Hedgehog III GTX XCR Shoes - The Hedgehogs are what you want when the weather is not warm and sunny. They come with a XCR Gore Tex liner, which will do an excellent job of keeping your feet nice and dry when the weather turns bad. And the sole is a much more aggressive offering from Vibram, when compared to the sole of the Minimus shoes above. These are designed to weather bad weather and bad trails with ease. But at 21.8 ounces, or 620 grams they do weigh almost exactly twice what the Minimum shoes weigh.