Most down jackets are made with goose down, but goose down is not the only kind of down out there. There are plenty of other animals that produce down that would be suitable for jackets, and ducks are one of them. Duck down jackets aren’t nearly as popular as goose down jackets, but they definitely do exist. And while there isn’t a whole lot of difference between duck down and goose down, if you prefer duck down jackets, you definitely have a few choices available to you.
Duck Down JacketsWhat to look for when you're looking for duck down jackets.
- Down Quality – Just like with goose down jackets, the quality of the down in a duck down jacket will vary. Duck down with a higher fill number provides better loft, and thus gives you more warmth, without adding any more weight. So generally, higher quality down is better.
- Water Resistant – Duck down, just like goose down, doesn’t do a very good job of keeping you warm when it gets wet. If you let it get wet you’ll get cold, and then you’ll be wet and cold, which is never a good combination. So it’s a good idea to get a water resistant, or even waterproof duck down jacket.
Best Duck Down JacketsThere aren't many of them, but here are some of the best duck down jackets for men and women.
Men's Duck Down Jackets
- Canada Goose Expedition Down Parka - If you need to stay warm there's no better choice than a Canada Goose jacket. Despite the company name they actually use duck down in their jackets. This particular one uses 625+ fill duck down, and has a water resistant exterior. It also has a number of features to help you stay warm, like a fur lined hood, fleece lined pockets and even a snow skirt. A fantastic choice of jacket when you really need to stay warm.
- White Sierra Devils Dance Down Jacket - The Devils Dance is built with a more active, outdoorsy use in mind. It uses 550+ fill down, but no water resistant exterior, so you will want to be careful to keep this jacket dry. But it has two zippered pockets, plus a zippered chest pocket, and a an athletic cut, making it a good choice for hikers, backpackers and anyone else who likes to get out and be active.
Women's Duck Down Jackets
- Canada Goose Expedition Down Parka - If you want warm, you want a Canada Goose jacket. Despite the company name the jacket is actually filled with 625+ fill duck down, not goose down. The exterior of the jacket is water resistant, to help keep the down dry, but what this jacket is about is keeping you warm, and that's where it stands out. Features like a snow skirt, fleece lined pockets and a fur lined hood are all designed to keep you as warm as possible.
- White Sierra Paradise Falls Down Jacket - The Paradise Falls is a jacket intended more for those who like to stay active in the outdoors. It has a more athletic, low profile cut. It uses 550+ fill down, but where it comes up short is with a lack of a water resistant exterior. So you will need to be careful to have a rain shell available, because you don't want to let this jacket get wet. Still, it's one of the few duck down jackets out there, and a good choice for anyone who keeps active outside.