By going with hiking shoes instead of hiking boots you are already saving yourself quite a bit of money. But if you want to save even more, it’s entirely possible to find a good pair of cheap hiking shoes that wont empty out your wallet but will keep your feet comfortable over a long day of hiking. A sale is a good place to start when looking for a low price, but as long as you know what to look for, finding a pair of cheap hiking shoes that wont fall apart is relatively easy.
Cheap Hiking ShoesWhat to look for when you want cheap hiking shoes.
- Waterproof – If you want waterproof hiking shoes you’re going to have to spend a little more money, which is why, if you want cheap hiking shoes, it’s best to stick with hiking shoes that aren’t waterproof. As long as you’re not spending too much time in the rain and puddles, a breathable pair of hiking shoes that aren’t waterproof is actually a better choice.
- Weight – Generally, a lightweight pair of hiking shoes is going to cost more, because of the superior materials and construction. There are some exceptions, of course, but if you’re looking for cheap hiking shoes you shouldn’t expect to see too many pairs of lightweight hiking shoes.
Best Cheap Hiking ShoesSome of the very best in cheap hiking shoes for men and women.
Men's Cheap Hiking Shoes
- New Balance MT10 Minimus - The Minimus hiking shoes from New Balance are cheap because there's not a whole lot to them. They have a very thin, minimal Vibram sole that gives you a good sense of what's underneath you, and a simple but well ventilated upper that will keep air circulating and sweaty feet at bay. A really fantastic pair of cheap hiking shoes if you want something minimal, that will give you a good indication of the barefoot experience.
- Merrell Moab Ventilator - Another pair of cheap hiking shoes built with ventilation in mind. These have a thicker, more traditional Vibram sole, but also have a well ventilated upper that isn't anything too fancy, but will do a good job of keeping air circulating. Another very solid pair of cheap hiking shoes.
Women's Cheap Hiking Shoes
- New Balance WT10 Minimus - The Minimus is certainly not a cheaply built pair of hiking shoes, but there's so little to them that the price cant be all that high. They're a shoe that helps simulate the barefoot hiking experience. The soles are rather thin, but they're good quality and made by Vibram. The upper portion is simple, but well ventilated, so that air can circulate freely inside your shoe, and you don't get overheated. So if you prefer something minimalist, these are a good choice.
- Merrell Moab Ventilator - If you're interested in a cheap pair of more traditional hiking shoes, The Moab Ventilators are ideal. The sole is a basic, but solid model from Vibram, and the upper portion has plenty of ventilation so that your feet never overheat, even when the temperature is way up there. A very solid pair of traditional hiking shoes.