If you expect to eat while out camping you need camping plates. Something from the cupboard at home will hold your food well enough, but purpose built camping plates do a much better job of holding your food so that you can stuff it all down. And if you need more than one plate, and maybe some bowls or cups to do with them, then a camping plates set is what you need. Buying in bulk, after all, is almost always more efficient than buying single pieces.
Camping Plates SetWhat to look for when buying a whole camping plate set.
- Material – The material that you choose to go with is the most important variable when it comes to picking out camping plates. There is metal, plastic and a few other choices too. There are also a few different kinds of metal, each with positives and negatives. It helps to do your research, so that you know what your options are.
- Size – When buying camping plates it helps to make sure that the plates are big enough. You might also want to look in to camping plates that have high sides. That way, when you’re eating something a little more sloppy, like pasta with extra sauce, you don’t end up with pasta and sauce on you and the ground below you.
Best Camping Plates SetSome of the best choices for a camping plate set.
- GSI Outdoors Gourmet Plate Set - This set from GSI Outdoors is just 4 plates, and is ideal if all you need is plates, and you already have everything else. The plates themselves are made with polypropylene, and have a 7.5 inch diameter with high sides to that there wont be any spills. The whole set weighs just 5 ounces, or 141 grams, which is a good weight. So a camping plate set for four, assuming that all you need is plates.
- REI Campware Group Tableware Set - This campware set from REI is plates, along with cups and bowls. There's 4 of each, for a total of 12 items in the set. Everything is made from polypropylene like the GSI plates above, though these are square, rather than round, and with relatively high sides so you wont lose any food eating on uneven surfaces. Thole thing weighs 31.5 ounces, or 893 grams.
- Snow Peak Personal Cooker 3 - This is another kind of set from Snow Peak. It's a set of 2 pots of varying size, plus a frying pan, each of which has folding handles and is made from stainless steel. It also comes with 2 plates that likely double as lids for the pots, and a bowl. So a bit of an oddball collection, but if you don't mind your plates being different sizes, and need pots and pans, then this might be the ideal camping plate set for you.