It can be cumbersome to bring all kinds of clothing when you go camping. It’s typically a lot easier to just bring one pair of camping pants, for instance, that will last and perform for the duration of your camping trip. So when you’re looking for camping pants what you want to find is a pair of pants that is versatile. Ideally, your camping pants will be as useful in the middle of the day on the trail, in the heat, as they are around the campfire at night, when the temperature dips down low.
Camping PantsWhat to look for when buying camping pants.
- Convertible – One of the more useful innovations in camping pants is the ability to unzip the bottom half of your camping pants and turn them in to a pair of shorts, without ever needing to take them off. That way you have clothing for the hot, middle of the day and also for the cooler mornings and nights.
- Pockets – Another useful feature to have when you’re camping is plenty of pocket room. Hand pockets, for sure, but also zippered pockets. You’re likely to be moving around a lot while camping, and the last thing you want to do is have something important fall out of your pocket and in to the dirt, where it will be very difficult to find.
Best Camping PantsSome of the very best camping pants for both men and women.
Men's Camping Pants
- ExOfficio Bugsaway Ziwa Pants - As far as feature rich pants go, the Bugsaway pants are some of the best. They're nylon, first of all, so they will dry quickly. They also have a 30+ UPF rating, so that your legs are well protected from the sun. They're convertible, of course, and come coated with a bug repellent treatment, so that bugs will stay well away. Plenty of pocket room rounds out the features of this very versatile pair of camping pants.
- Arc'teryx Rampart Pants - If you want something easy and simple, the Rampart pants might be better suited. They're nylon, so you get all the benefits of that fabric, and they have a few extra pockets beyond the two basic ones for your hands, but there's not a whole lot else to them, other than that. A good, solidly built pair of hiking pants for those that want something minimal.
Women's Camping Pants
- ExOfficio Bugsaway Ziwa Pants - The Bugsaway pants are the best you're likely to do when it comes to camping pants. They're convertible, for starters, and as the name suggests will keep bugs away from you, as they come treated with a bug repellent. They're also made from nylon, which will dry quickly and wont rip without a fight. Finally, a 30+ UPF rating will keep the sun off too. These are a fantastic pair of camping pants that have you covered for just about any weather conditions.
- Arc'teryx Parapet Pants - At the other end of the spectrum is something like the Parapet pants. These are the definition of simple and lightweight. They're nylon, so you do at least get all the benefits of using nylon, like the fact that it dries quickly, but all those extras, like the ability to convert them in to shorts, is missing. Just a solid, basic pair of camping pants.