There are a wide variety of methods for making coffee, and everyone has their favourite. Many people prefer their coffee from a drip filter, and if that is your preferred method there is a camping drip coffee maker out there with your name on it. Drip coffee is a good option because there are actually some very small and lightweight options available that will take up little or no room in your backpack. It might end up that your coffee is heavier and bulkier than the equipment needed to make the coffee.
Camping Drip Coffee MakerWhat to look for when you're looking for a camping drip coffee maker.
- Weight – There are some excellent camping drip coffee makers that will contribute almost nothing, in terms of weight, to your overall load. And then there are some that will contribute more, in terms of weight. If you have to carry your camping gear, it’s usually best to go with the lighter option, unless you’re really sold on something heavier.
- Material – There are a variety of different materials that you will find camping drip coffee makers made in. Some will pack down small, and some will weigh far less than others. You might also want to avoid some, like plastic, for instance, that may be leaking harmful chemicals in to your coffee every morning. Just be aware that you have options.
Best Camping Drip Coffee MakerThere aren't many to choose from, but these are some of the best camping drip coffee makers.
- GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip - First up, a very good and basic drip filter from GSI. It's just a basic plastic frame with a couple of legs that will slot on to the top of your camping cup or mug. That way, the drip filter stays centered on your coffee cup, so that it's free to drip away while you set about getting breakfast started. It weighs a total of 11.3 ounces, which is 320 grams.
- Snow Peak Coffee Drip - This drip filter option from Snow Peak is the only metal option, being made from stainless steel. It uses basic arms to allow it to sit on top of a wide variety of different cups and mugs, making it an extremely versatile option. It also folds down flat when your not using it, so that you can easily pack it. It also weighs just 4.9 ounces, or 139 grams.
- GSI Outdoors Collapsible JavaDrip Slim Drip - The JavaDrip is another drip filter from GSI, though with a much different design. It has a wide base, for starters, that will fit a wide variety of cups and mugs, unlike the other GSI option above. It also collapses down in to a flat disc when your not using it, so that it's very easy to throw in to your bag when you're not using it. It also weighs just 4.8 ounces, which is 136 grams.