There are plenty of different ways to make coffee, but not many of them translate well in to camping. Percolators tend to be large and heavy, and not well suited for camping. If you're car camping they're an option, but if you are carrying your gear you might be better suited with a french press or other kind of coffee maker. But if nothing but percolated coffee will do, there are a few camping coffee percolator options available to you.
Camping Coffee PercolatorFeatures to be on the look out for when reviewing camping coffee percolators.
- Lightweight - If you have to carry your gear then you should at least try to make it lightweight gear. This is doubly true for luxury camping equipment like coffee percolators. Unfortunately, there aren't too many camping coffee percolators to choose from, and most of them are not all that light.
- Cups Made - People rarely go camping by themselves, and the decent thing to do is to make a cup of coffee for your companion or companions too. Try to find a camping coffee percolator that goes well with the kind of group sizes that you normally go camping with.
Best Camping Coffee PercolatorThere aren't many camping coffee percolators out there on the market, but these are the best of them.
- Open Country 2 - 5 Cup Coffee Perk - The Open Country coffee percolator is ideal if you want something a little smaller and lighter. It's aluminum, and makes coffee for anywhere from 2 to 5 cups, which is an ideal size for most camping groups. More specifically, it holds 40 liquid ounces, or 1.18 liters. It has a convenient handle that folds down, and weighs a total of 9 ounces, or 255 grams.
- REI Cookware Percolator - This is a percolator that occupies the other end of the spectrum, in terms of size. It will make 12 cups, or more accurately, holds 60 fluid ounces, which is 1.77 liters. It's stainless steel, which will keep it from being dented, but also makes it quite heavy, at 2 pounds 1 ounce, or 935 grams.
- GSI Stainless Steel Percolator - Another camping coffee percolator, this time from GSI. This particular model comes in a wide variety of sizes, ranging from 3 cups to 14 cups, so you can get the size that is right for your group. It's made from stainless steel, so strong, but also heavy, with the 9 cup version weighing 1 pound 9 ounces, or 708 grams.