Camping is supposed to be about leaving luxuries behind and roughing it for a little while, getting in touch with nature. But for some people, coffee falls more in the necessity column than the luxury column, and camping coffee makers are a required item for any overnight trip. Fortunately, there are many excellent camping coffee makers that come in smart, lightweight, small packages, and you really don’t have to add much weight or bulk to your backpack to get your coffee in the morning.
Camping Coffee MakersWhat to think about when you're buying your next camping coffee maker.
- Type – There are a few different ways that you can make coffee while camping. Something like a French press is certainly a viable options, as it’s low tech and would work well in a camping scenario. There are also options, such as an immersion filter, that you’ve probably never considered, but which make an excellent cup of coffee without adding much weight to your backpack.
- Integrated – It helps if your coffee maker integrates in some way with the rest of your cookware. If your coffee making method requires a pot, for instance, then it would be a good idea to see if you can use your cooking pot. That way, you only have to bring one pot, which is then used for two different purposes.
Best Camping Coffee MakersA few of the better camping coffee makers, of several different varieties.
- MSR MugMate Coffee / Tea Filter - If what you want is something simple, small and lightweight, the MugMate is a fantastic choice. It won the 2009 Backpacker Magazine Editor's Choice Gold Award, and has a design that is likely familiar to many people. It looks and functions very similar to a tea immersion filter, and as the name suggests, it can be used for tea as well as coffee. Of course it's reusable an endless amount of times, and is easy to store in your cup when not in use. It also weighs just 1 ounce, or 28 grams.
- Snow Peak Titanium Cafe Press - If you prefer your coffee from a french press, Snow Peak makes an excellent titanium option. It will make two cups of coffee, for you and a friend or one really big one for just you. The pot portion, of course, could also double as a cooking pot, making it a versatile option for that want to save on bulk. The whole thing weighs 6.3 ounces, or 178 grams.
- Snow Peak Folding Coffee Drip - And finally, if you prefer your coffee dripped, there is an excellent camping option for that too, also from Snow Peak. It's stainless steel, and assembles so that it will sit conveniently on the top of your cup and drip away while you do other things around camp. When you're done with it, it folds down for easy packing, making it an ideal solution for backpackers and campers. It weighs 4.9 ounces, or 138 grams.