To find even more of the lightest tents on the market, head over to the lightweight tents list.
Lightest TentsA tent is often one of the heaviest pieces of gear that a hiker or backpacker takes with them in to the outdoors, but there is another way, a lighter way.
Taking a light tent will help you cut down on weight. it will also free up space in your backpack for other stuff.
To start, here are a few features common to many of the lighter tents on the market.
Light Tent Features
- Trekking Pole Supports - One of the most common features of the lightweight tents on the market is that they give you the option to use trekking poles as supports instead of traditional poles. If you don't use trekking poles you can always use a standard pole, but light tents usually at least give you the option.
- Single Wall Design - Another common design feature of most of the lighter tents is that they have a single wall, rather than the more traditional tent with a fly design. Fabric is heavy, after all, and cutting your fabric needs in half saves quite a bit of weight.
Lightest 1 Person TentsFind even more of the very best and ultralight tents on the market at the lightweight tents list.
- Gossamer Gear The One - This is currently one of the lightest tents on the market, at 464 grams, or 16.3 ounces. It's made from lightweight spinnaker cloth, and has a unique design that leaves you well ventilated and well protected from the elements. Definitely one of the best designed and lighter tents you can buy.
- Terra Nova Laser Ultra 1 - The Laser Ultra from Terra Nova is the world's lightest double wall tent at 495 grams, or 17.5 ounces. It uses the very innovative cuben fiber fabric for the outer wall to significantly cut down on weight. If you are looking for a light tent with a more traditional design, this is the tent for you.
- Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 1 - If you are looking for a traditional design with tent poles and all the other features of a traditional tent, then this is the light tent for you. It weighs 850 grams, or 30 ounces, so it doesn't compare to the other two above in terms of weight, but it gets great reviews and has a design that most hikers and backpackers will more familiar with.
Lightest 2+ Person TentsThe tents list has tents ranked by weight, to make it easy to find the lightest.
- Tarp Tent Squall 2 - All Tarp Tents are handcrafted in the United States, which is just one great feature of the Squall 2. It also features a unique bathtub floor design with ample ventilation, to keep you moisture free at night. It fits two, uses trekking poles or a separate pole for support, and weighs just 34 ounces, or 940 grams. Definitely one of the lighter tents for two you can get your hands on.
- Terra Nova Laser Photon 2 - The Laser Photon 2 is another extremely light tent from UK manufacturer Terra Nova. It's a double wall tent, and even comes with its own, specially designed 1 gram tent pegs. It's a racing tent, so 2 is a tight fit, but it weighs in at just 880 grams, or 31 ounces, so if you don't mind a tight fit you will be more than happy with having such a light tent.
- Big Agnes Fly Creeek UL 3 - The Fly Creek UL 3 is the 3 person version of the Fly Creek UL 1 from the list above. Big Agnes also makes a 2 person and 4 person version. For those who like a traditional tent design, this is a great line of light tents that will save you a lot of weight. This particular version of the Fly Creek weighs in at 1445 grams, or 51 ounces, which is very respectable for a three man tent.