The best fleece jackets, however, set themselves apart form the competition with a few extra technical features here and there that make them better designed than the competition.
Best Fleece Jackets - Men
- Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man Jacket - The name says it all. This fleece jacket is made from extremely soft, plush fleece, which makes it both lightweight and very warm. It doesn't have the density to block a lot of wind like other fleece jackets, but if you're looking for the best fleece jacket for laying, this is the one for you.
- Marmot Afterburner Fleece Jacket - This fleece jacket from Marmot features Gore Windstopper fabric, which does as the name suggests and keeps the wind at bay. It has drawcords in all the right spots, and will keep you warm regardless of what the weather is doing.
- Patagonia R1 Hooded Fleece Pullover - This is a favorite garment among hikers and backpackers because it does a bit of everything. The extra long sleeves and thumb hooks keep the sleeves in place, and the hood is a great feature for when you need to keep your head and neck out of the wind. If you want versatile, this is the best fleece jacket for you.
- The North Face Khumbu Fleece Jacket - If you want a fleece jacket, you go to the company that specializes in clothing for ugly weather. It features high quality, 300 weight fleece to keep the wind out, and layers well when you get in to the really cold weather. All around, one of the best fleece jackets on the market.
Best Fleece Jackets - Women
- Mountain Hardwear Monkey Woman Jacket - The same as the Monkey Man from the men's list, above, but with a woman's cut. This jacket wont protect well against the wind, but if you are looking for something that stays warm and layers extremely well, this is the best fleece jacket for you.
- Patagonia Better Sweater Jacket - This is one of the all around best fleece jackets for women. It features a stylish fit and technical features like a full collar that will keep you warm while hiking or backpacking. And it has a close enough fit that it will layer well with a wind breaker or rain jacket.
- The North Face Khumbu Fleece Jacket - If you want to go on sheer popularity, then is the best fleece jacket you can get. With over 200 reviews and a five star rating, it is clearly doing something right. It works well as a fall or spring jacket, and the zippers integrate with North Face shells to form a warm and seamless winter jacket.