The best down jackets will have a few different features, but the most important by far is the quality of the down. Better quality down means you get the same amount of warmth for less down.
The higher the fill number, the better the down, and the the higher up the best down jackets list you can consider that jacket to be.
Best Down Jackets for Men List
- Patagonia Fitz Roy Hooded Down Jacket - If you're looking for something that will keep you warm on the side of a windswept mountain, this is the best down jacket for you. It features 800+ fill goose down, and plenty of it, to ward off the wind.The hood and the fleece lined pockets also help to keep all your extremities toasty warm.
- Marmot Zeus Down Jacket - The Zeus jacket from Marmot features high quality, 800 fill goose down. It also features a water repellent finish, to keep the water out of your down. Down loses insulating power when wet, so if you neglect to bring a waterproof jacket, this water repellency can really come in handy.
- Mont Bell Alpine Light Down Parka - Few manufacturers do down better than Japanese manufacturer Mont Bell. They are renowned for their down sleeping bags and now, jackets too. In 2011 this 800 fill goose down parka won the Backpacker Magazine Editor's Choice Award, so you know you are getting one of the best down jackets with Mont Bell.
- Canada Goose Expedition Down Parka - If you are looking for unparalleled quality, the best down jackets are from Canada Goose. The Canadian manufacturer has been the go to brand for National Science Foundation at Antarctica's McMurdo Station research facility for 20 years, and the choice of Arctic travelers for even longer. If you absolutely need to stay warm, the Canada Goose Expedition Down Parka is the best down jacket for you.
Best Down Jackets for Women List
- Marmot Venus Down Jacket - This down jacket from Marmot features premium, 800 fill goose down and a minimalist design to cut down on weight without sacrificing warmth. It also gets great reviews, and is right at home on any best down jackets list.
- Mont Bell Alpine Light Down Parka - Another winner of the Backpacker Magazine Editor's Choice Award in 2011, this down jacket from Mont Bell is constructed with 800 fill goose down and all of Mont Bell's considerable experience creating some of the best down sleeping bags on the market. A great choice is you are looking for the all around best down jacket.
- Canada Goose Expedition Down Parka - Canada Goose is the manufacturer to go to when you absolutely, positively need to stay warm in cold conditions. The Canadian manufacturer has been the go to brand for National Science Foundation at Antarctica's McMurdo Station research facility for 20 years, and with good reason. If warmth is your main concern, this is the best down jacket for you.