These are some of the top tents, but to compare them to all the other tents on the market check out the Lightweight Tents List.
Top TentsThese are a few of the best tents on the market right now. They're popular, well reviewed and would be a good choice to take with you hiking, backpacking or camping.
Top 1 Person Tents
- Terra Nova Equipment Laser Photon 1 - The Laser Photon 1 is an excellent lightweight tent from Terra Nova, a UK manufacturer. Terra Nova isn't all that well known in North America, but is one of the best tent manufacturers in Europe. The Laser Photon weighs 670 grams, or 1.47 pounds, and in terms of weight is one of the better tents you can buy. Terra Nova even developed their own, lightweight tent pegs to further reduce the weight, which makes it clear that this is a manufacturer dedicated to their products and their customers.
- Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 1 - The Fly Creek 1 from Big Agnes is another of the very best tents on the market. It doesn't weigh much, just 850 grams, or 1.87 pounds, and is rated extremely well by customers. It's a fairly small tent, but a usable size, and is easy to set up.
- Tarp Tent Contrail - The Contrail is one of several one person tents from Tarp Tent, a small tent brand popular in the lightweight backpacking community. The design is innovative, which means the tent weighs 696 grams, or 1.53 pounds, but is also well ventilated and roomy enough that two people could squeeze in.
Top 2 person Tents
- Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 - The Fly Creek 2 is the 2 person version of the Fly Creek line of tents from Big Agnes, which are some of the lightest freestanding tents currently being made in their respective capacities. And it only weighs just over 100 grams more than the 1 person version, coming in at 963 grams, or 2.12 lbs. The weight, or lack thereof, the consistent positive ratings and the reputation make it a dependable tent in the 2 person capacity category.
- MSR Carbon Reflex 2 - The Carbon Reflex 2 won an Adventure Gear of the Year award from National Geographic magazine back in 2009, which speaks to the quality of the product and also helped to make it that much more popular with customers. It weighs 1210 grams, or 2.66 pounds, and is a dependable and well built 2 person tent.
- Mont Bell Crescent 2 - The Crescent 2 has been designed to use just a single pole, which helps to cut down on weight and has led to a few other innovative design features as well. Mont Bell, the manufacturer, is known more for sleeping bags and down garments than tents, but just like their more famous products they use excellent materials and innovative designs, and their tents are guaranteed not to disappoint. The weight of the Crescent 2 is just 1162 grams, or 2.56 pounds, and it includes ample ventilation to keep you dry at night.
Top 3+ Person Tents
- Tarp Tent Rainshadow 2 - The Rainshadow 2 is a popular tent with lightweight backpackers, but not a tent you're likely to find in your local outdoors store. The minimalist design provides plenty of room for three to sleep at night, and the ample ventilation at both ends of the tent will keep condensation from building up. And the weight, which is 1135 grams, or 2.5 pounds, is better than most two person tents, and significantly better than just about any other three person tent you're going to find.
- Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 3 - The Fly Creek 3 is the next step up in the Fly Creek line of products from Big Agnes. The tent weighs 1445 grams, or 3.18 pounds, which is a considerable jump from the 2 person model, but still much lighter than most other 3 person tents on the market, which is why it is still one of the best tents to buy. You can also take a look at the 4 person version, the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 4.
- Sierra Designs Lightning XT 4 - The Lightning XT is one of the better tents from manufacturer Sierra Designs. In 2009 it won an Editor's Choice award from Backpacker magazine, which helped to confirm its excellent design and manufacturing quality. It's roomy, and isn't especially light at 3150 grams, or 6.94 pounds, but then a four person tent is never going to be especially light.