Trekking poles are a great way to take a little pressure off of your knees and back and put it on your shoulders instead. Men’s and women’s trekking poles are actually fairly similar, and many pairs are actually unisex. But there are many other variables that you have to be aware of when it comes to buying trekking poles that have nothing to do with gender. But as long as you know what you’re doing, there’s no reason you cant find the perfect pair of trekking poles for you.
Women’s Trekking PolesWhat to look for when you're looking for women's trekking poles.
- Material – There are two main choices that you have when it comes to trekking poles, and those are aluminum and carbon fiber. Carbon fiber is lighter, but also more expensive, whereas aluminum is cheaper and heavier, and also a little more durable and forgiving.
- Length – Most trekking poles are adjustable, so that you can buy a pair and fine tune the length to your exact fit. But if you choose to buy fixed length trekking poles, you can save a lot of weight. Of course you have to be sure you’re buying the right length.
Best Women’s Trekking PolesSome of the best women's trekking poles that you will find out there on the market.
- Black Diamond Ultra Distance Trekking Poles - These are actually a fixed length, unisex trekking pole, so you have a number of size options when you order, which makes them an ideal choice if you're a woman looking for a specific fit. They're also carbon fiber, and that combined with the fixed length makes these extremely lightweight, at just 9.5 ounces, or 270 grams. Despite being fixed length they do fold down, just like tent poles do. Finally, the won the 2011 Backpacker Magazine Editor's Choice award, so you can be assured they're high quality.
- REI Traverse Powerlock Women's Trekking Poles - A woman specific pair of aluminum trekking poles from REI. What separates them from the men's version is a shorter length and smaller grip. They come in three sections, so that you can easily adjust the size to your specific needs, and they telescope down to just 24.8 inches, for easy packing. Finally they weigh 1 pound 1.5 ounces, which is 496 grams.
- Black Diamond Trail Trekking Poles - This is another pair of unisex trekking poles from Black Diamond that come in a compact size, which is shorter, with smaller grips, and ideal for women. They're aluminum, and have three telescoping sections, so that they pack easily when not in use. There's also material to grip below the handle, so that you can choke up for steep descents for more control. Finally, they weigh 18.6 ounces, or 528 grams.