One of the best things about a soft shell jacket is that it is the kind of gear that is versatile. It’s not perfect for any one thing, but it’s pretty good for a lot of different things. So a weatherproof soft shell jacket is a lot to ask, but there are definitely a few of the best soft shell jackets that are up to the task. If you’re wanting a truly weatherproof soft shell jacket, however, you are likely going to have to spend the good money for a quality jacket with all of the better features.
Weatherproof Soft Shell JacketWhat to look for when you want a weatherproof soft shell jacket.
- Water Resistant – The first and most important feature to get if you expect your soft shell jacket to be weatherproof is a water resistant exterior. Rain and snow are two of the more uncomfortable weather conditions to be caught out in, after all, and you will definitely want something that can stand up to that as best as possible.
- Insulated – Cold temperatures are another weather condition that you may want your soft shell jacket to be able to brave, and in that case you will likely want an insulated soft shell jacket. An insulated soft shell jacket will also provide better protection from the wind, which is yet another ugly weather condition that you will likely want to be protected from.
Best Weatherproof Soft Shell JacketSome of the best weatherproof soft shell jackets for men and women.
Men's Weatherproof Soft Shell Jacket
- Marmot Zion Jacket - The Zion is actually called a waterproof jacket, though it might not be a good idea to take it out in too many rain storms. But still, a waterproof soft shell is certainly a weatherproof soft shell jacket. The outer shell is also extremely windproof, but does breath well, which is what you would expect from a soft shell jacket. It has a hood, of course, and a few nice details, like taped seams, for better waterproofing.
- Arc'teryx Hyllus Hooded Jacket - The Hyllus is the jacket you want when the temperature drops way down low. It uses heavy 300 weight fleece to keep you toasty warm, but also a solid soft shell exterior, which makes it water and wind resistant. The hood will help keep you warm and comfortable, of course, but this really is an ideal soft shell jacket for those cold, ugly days in the outdoors.
Women's Weatherproof Soft Shell Jacket
- Marmot Zion Jacket - The Zion is touted as being a waterproof soft shell jacket, though you might want to think twice before taking it out in too many rain storms. But still, it's likely more waterproof than just about any other soft shell jacket you'll find, which certainly makes it weatherproof. The fact that it blocks out just about all wind helps, of course, and a hood as well as a couple of zippered hand pockets will help keep your extremities out of the weather too. So as far as water goes, you cant do better than the Zion.
- Arc'teryx Hyllus Hooded Jacket - The Hyllus is water and wind resistant, but where it will really stand out is those cold days where you need something to keep you warm and insulated. It uses the heavy 300 weight, plus a nice thick hood and a couple of zippered hand pockets to keep every inch of you warm. It also helps that it won the 2008 Gear of the Year award from Outside magazine. So a very solid soft shell jacket for those cold, dreary days.