Soft shell jackets are, by definition, not waterproof. A waterproof soft shell jacket would generally be considered a hard shell jacket, because that’s the name given to waterproof jackets. But despite this, there are a few waterproof soft shell jackets out there. They aren’t quite as waterproof as something like a Gore Tex jacket, you likely wouldn’t want to get caught in a rain storm with them, but they will certainly keep you dry longer than just a water resistant soft shell jacket.
Waterproof Soft Shell JacketWhat to look for when you're looking for a waterproof soft shell jacket.
- Waterproofing – When buying a waterproof soft shell jacket you want to pay special attention to the method and material that is being used to do the waterproofing. The method or material used will determine, to a large extent, how long you stay dry for. It pays to do this research before you find yourself in that rainstorm.
- Hood – If you’re going to get a waterproof soft shell jacket then it might be a good idea to also get a jacket that has a hood. Just about all rain jackets and hard shell jackets come with hoods, after all, and if you plan on staying dry with your waterproof soft shell jacket, you will likely want a hood too.
Best Waterproof Soft Shell JacketSome of the better waterproof soft shell jackets for men and women.
Men's Waterproof Soft Shell Jacket
- Marmot Zion Jacket - The Zion uses a unique fabric called Neoshell that makes it waterproof, but also a soft shell. It remains breathable, just like a soft shell jacket should, but also blocks out most of the wind, so it has all the right soft shell jacket features, but is also waterproof. The seams are also taped, so they wont leak water. Finally, the shoulders are reinforced, so that you can wear a backpack without damaging the exterior.
- Mountain Hardwear Kelpler Softshell Jacket - Another soft shell jacket with waterproof functionality. The Kepler uses a waterproofing method called Dry.Q Elite, which blocks water and wind too, while remaining breathable, which is the best of both worlds when it comes to soft shell jackets. Besides that the seams are also taped against water, and the jacket has the standard configuration of two zippered hand pockets and one zippered chest pocket. It even has underarm zips, to keep you well ventilated.
Women's Waterproof Soft Shell Jacket
- Marmot Zion Jacket - The Zion is water resistant or waterproof, depending on who you ask, but according to Marmot at least the Neoshell fabric will keep you dry, while still keeping out wind and breathing well. It has two zippered hand pockets, along with one on the chest and one of the arm, so plenty of storage options. Smaller details, like taped seams, also help to keep water out, and make this a great waterproof soft shell jacket.
- Mountain Hardwear Zahra Softshell Jacket - The Zahra is one more jacket that rides the fence between waterproof jacket and soft shell jacket. It will indeed keep you dry in wet weather, will keep the wind out, and will also breath well. It even has underarm zippers to help with ventilation. Besides that it has two zippered hand pockets, one zippered chest pocket and taped seams throughout, to aid in the waterproofing. So another very good waterproof soft shell jacket.