Most camping cups are made out of titanium, a material which is both lightweight and strong, a combination ideally suited to camping equipment. But that is not to say that there is not a place for a good stainless steel camping cup. Stainless steel is heavier than titanium, but it also stands up better to use and abuse. Stainless steel is also typically quite a bit cheaper than titanium, which another advantage that many people appreciate.
Stainless Steel Camping CupWhat to look for when looking for a good stainless steel camping cup.
- Size - Always check to see what the size of your camping cup is before purchasing. Pictures on websites can be deceiving, and cups will come in a wide variety of sizes. Knowing the weight of the cup will help, but most cups should have a capacity listed, which you will want to at least glance at.
- Handle - Particularly when hot beverages are involved, a handle is an important feature to have on a camping cup, stainless steel or otherwise. The best handles are those that fold around the cup when not in use. That way, you don't have any unnecessary bulk taking up room in your backpack when you're not using the cup.
Best Stainless Steel Camping CupThere aren't too many stainless steel camping cups to choose from out there, but these are the best of them.
- GSI Outdoors Glacier Bottle Cup / Pot - Is it a cup, or a pot? Well, it's somewhere in between. With a capacity of 18 fluid ounces, or .5 liters, you could use this as a small pot just as easily as you could use it as a big cup. It has a folding handle, which suits either purpose well, and weighs 5.2 ounces, or 147 grams, which is certainly a reasonable weight for a stainless steel cup of this size.
- Olicamp Space Saver Cup - The Space Saver is another large cup that could conceivably double as a small pot in a pinch. It will hold 16 fluid ounces, which is .47 liters. It is also the perfect size to slide on to the bottom of a 1 liter nalgene bottle, or any other bottle of a similar size, which is where the space saver name comes from. It also has folding handles that help to further reduce unnecessary bulk.
- LiCamp Stainless Steel Sierra Cup - Something a little different, from LiCamp. This stainless steel cup is actually fairly tapered, giving it a unique design. It also has a handle that does not fold down, unfortunately, but will keep your hands away from the potentially hot surface of the cup. The whole thing weighs 3.6 ounces, or 102 grams, but will only hold .33 liters.