A soft shell jacket is a useful piece of gear to have in a wide variety of situations. It's a good thing to have on the trail, when you are hiking, backpacking or camping, and does equally well as a layer for staying warm around town. Soft shell jackets aren't well suited to all conditions, like rain, for instance, but they keep you warm and protected from the wind very well, and if you are a man that needs that role filled, soft shell jackets for men are worth looking at.
Soft Shell Jackets for MenThe features to look for when you are shopping for soft shell jackets.
- Water Resistant - You probably wont find any soft shell jackets claiming to be waterproof, but there are many excellent soft shell jackets that can at least claim to be water resistant. In spring showers, for instance, when you don't want to stop to put on a jacket to keep a few drops off of you, a water resistant soft shell is ideal.
- Fully Featured - For hikers, campers and backpackers, a soft shell jacket with a few extra features will be ideal. Many soft shell jackets come with things like zippered breast pockets and hoods that make them a more versatile piece of gear.
Best Soft Shell Jackets for MenThe very best soft shell jackets for men.
- Marmot Gravity Jacket - The Gravity is a fairly basic soft shell jacket, that will keep you warm, breath well and shed light amounts of moisture. It has a full length zipper, which is a nice feature, and a draft flap to keep wind from coming through that zipper. It's an ideal soft shell jacket for wearing around town as well as in the outdoors.
- Arc'teryx Gamma LT Softshell Jacket - The Gamma LT is another soft shell jacket for men equally suited to the town and the backcountry. It has a full length zipper for easy on and off, as well as two upper chest zippered pockets for storing small but important accessories that you might want quick access to. It also has a DWR finish, so you know that it will shed water very well.
- Rab Boreas Pull-On - The Boreas won the 2011 Backpacker Magazine Editor's Choice award, so you know it's well suited for campers, backpackers and hikers. As the name implies it's a pull on, so it has a front zipper but it only runs half the length of the jacket. It's also the only jacket on this list that comes with a hood. Beyond that, it has a zippered breast pocket, and it's also about half the price of the other two soft shell jackets above.