Sleeping bags comes in all different shapes and sizes, but a small sleeping bag, especially one that is small and compact when it comes to packing up in the morning, can be a very valuable piece of gear. It means there’s more space in your backpack for other important things, and it also generally means less weight for you to be carrying around. And there are some definite things to look for if what you want is a small, lightweight sleeping bag.
Small Sleeping BagWhat to look for when you're looking for a small sleeping bag.
- Down – In the choice between down and synthetic insulation, down is a much more compact choice. It packs down a lot smaller than synthetic insulation, relative to the warmth provided, and is also generally lighter, again relative to the warmth provided. Even more than that, higher quality down is better than lower quality down.
- Shape – There’s no denying that a mummy shaped sleeping bag is smaller than a rectangular sleeping bag. By eliminating all of that excess material you make the sleeping bag quite a bit smaller. Eliminating all of the unused space inside the sleeping bag also means that you will stay warmer at night.
Best Small Sleeping BagSome of the best and smallest sleeping bags.
- Western Mountaineering HighLite - With a minimum temperature of just 35 degrees, this is a sleeping bag best used for just summer use in most parts of the world. The benefit, of that, of course, is that it doesn't have to be very big or thick. And the 850 fill down, half length zipper and extra large square baffles all help to further reduce bulk and weight. And at just 1 pound, or 453 grams it's definitely a lightweight and small sleeping bag.
- Terra Nova Laser 600 - The Laser 600 has a minimum temperature rating of 32 degrees, so only a little warmer than the HighLite above. But 32 degrees puts it in to the range for three season camping in many parts of the world. The Laser 600 also uses 900 fill down, which is the high quality stuff, plus a narrow mummy cut and a short zipper to reduce the bulk of the sleeping bag as much as possible. The whole thing weighs just 1 pound 6.2 ounces, which is 630 grams.
- Mountain Hardwear Phantom - The Phantom is a four season sleeping bag, depending on how cold your winters are, with a minimum temperature rating of 15 degrees. It uses 800 fill down, and features like a full length zipper and draft collar that come in handy in cold temperatures. But at the same time it has a narrow mummy cut, to minimize wasted space. That narrow cut makes for a very small and relatively lightweight sleeping bag, at just 1 pound 15 ounces, or 870 grams.