Most sleeping bags are built for just one, but if you would like to get a little cozy to someone while out camping, for instance, then a sleeping bag for two is certainly a good option. Just be aware that two person sleeping bags are not a good way to save on weight, like a two person tent is. If you’re looking to save weight, you’re better off with two lightweight, one person sleeping bags. But for cozying up at night, a sleeping bag for two is ideal.
Sleeping Bag for TwoWhat to look at when you want a sleeping bag for two.
- Shape – Even with sleeping bags for two, there are rectangular shaped sleeping bags and then there are also more tapered options that will help cut down on weigh a bit. Another thing a tapered sleeping bag does is eliminate dead space within the sleeping bag, which helps keep you warmer at night.
- Insulation – Your two main choices when it comes to the insulation inside your sleeping bag are synthetic insulation, which is cheaper, but also heavier, and down, which is lighter and more compactable, but also more expensive, and not the best choice when things get wet.
Best Sleeping Bag for TwoSome of the best sleeping bags for two people to share at night.
- Big Agnes Dream Island Sleeping Bag - This is a big, heavy sleeping bag for two ideal for car camping, but not a whole lot else. That said, car camping gear is usually the cheapest gear, and for a double sleeping bag with a minimum temperature of just 15 degrees it does indeed have a very reasonable price. It's also synthetic, and mostly rectangular in shape, with a hood for keeping your head warm. Specifically, it weighs 9 pounds 5 ounces, or 4.22 kilograms.
- Big Agnes King Solomon 15 - The King Solomon is another sleeping bag for two with a minimum temperature rating of 15 degrees. This one, however, is filled with 600 fill down, which helps to bring the weight down to a much more reasonable 5 pounds 3 ounces, or 2.53 kilograms, which is light enough that it would be a good option for backpackers. It also comes with a hood, and while it's definitely a more expensive option than the other Big Agnes bag above, it's also a lighter option, and much better for carrying.
- REI Siesta +35 Double Sleeping Bag - One more sleeping bag for two, this one better suited for summer conditions, with a minimum temperature rating of 35 degrees. It uses synthetic insulation, but also a definite mummy shape, which helps to offset the heavier synthetic insulation. But even so, it weighs a total of 8 pounds 12 ounces, or 3.9 kilograms, which is quite a bit more than the much warmer King Solomon above, so you can really see the difference in weight that insulation makes. So another good option for car camping, but not so much for backpackers or hikers. It also has a very reasonable price, which some will definitely appreciate.