Exploring the outdoors in the rain is never quite as fun as when it's dry out, but being unprepared for such conditions is even worse. For that reason, a good rain jacket is an essential piece of equipment to have for those who spend significant amounts of time in the outdoors. Campers, backpackers and hikers especially should have a good rain jacket on hand, for those days when the weather doesn't cooperate. Rain jackets for men are a bit different than jackets for women, though there are a few unisex jackets out there.
Rain Jackets for MenFeatures to look for when shopping for your next rain jacket.
- Ventilation - The perfect rain jacket allows no moisture in, while allowing plenty of moisture out. Unfortunately, no waterproof fabric is perfect, and so a good compromise is ventilation. Many rain jackets have zippered openings under the armpit to allow air in and out, but other jackets may integrate ventilation in different ways.
- Material - Not all waterproof fabrics are made equal. Gore-Tex is a great fabric, but it's also quite expensive. Nylon with waterproof finishes are quite a bit cheaper, but don't tend to perform as well as Gore-Tex. eVENT is a good, middle of the road fabric that doesn't cost a huge amount but will stick protect you from water. Know your fabrics, and the positives and negatives associated with the fabric that you choose.
Best Rain Jackets for MenA few of the very best rain jackets for men currently out on the market.
- Arc'teryx Alpha SV Jacket - If price is of no concern, you wont do much better than the Alpha SV. It uses top of the line, 3L Pro Gore-Tex fabric. Standard features like pit zip ventilation and waterproofed zippers are much appreciated, but the more advanced features, like hip length, gusseted arms and a storm hood are what sets this jacket apart. Backpackers and hikers should take note that high wear areas are reinforced, so the Alpha SV will survive a backpack without falling apart.
- The North Face Venture Jacket - The Venture is a great value jacket. It uses HyVent fabric, which is a fabric developed by North Face. It's good, it will keep you dry, but it's not as good as Gore-Tex. But then it is also a fraction of the price of your average Gore-Tex jacket. It's also not as feature rich as the Alpha SV, but crucially, it does have pit zips for easy and effective ventilation.
- Marmot Super Mica Jacket - The Super Mica is a great jacket for backpackers and hikers. It's extremely lightweight and packs down small, perfect for stuffing in to a backpack. It's also reinforced in all the right places for backpackers, hikers and anyone else who carries a backpack. Pit zip ventilation is also included, but not a lot else. The design of this jacket is lightweight, and it doesn't have anything except the essential features.