A hammock is a great way to sleep at night when you’re camping, but you have to remember that this is not the same kind of hammock that is on the porch at home. What you need is a portable camping hammock that will be lightweight and small, yet will carry your weight and be versatile enough to set up in a variety of different environments. You will likely also want a few things to go along with your portable camping hammock, to make sure you get a good night of sleep.
Portable Camping HammockWhat to look for when you want a portable camping hammock.
- Tarp – The hammock will make sure that you have a comfortable sleep while out there in the woods, but if it starts raining you’re definitely not going to be very comfortable. Which is why it helps if you get a portable camping hammock that comes with a tarp that you can set up over top of you, to keep you both comfortable and dry.
- Hanging System – Another important additional piece of the puzzle that you will need for your portable camping hammock is a system to attach the hammock to the trees or whatever else you end up using. Some hammocks come with this, but some don’t, so make sure that you get some sort of hanging system if you don’t already have it.
Best Portable Camping HammockSome of the very best portable camping hammocks for your next camping trip.
- Eagles Nest Outfitters SingleNest Hammock - The SingleNest is an ideal camping hammock, especially for those larger individuals, as the SingleNest will hold a total of 400 pounds, whereas most other hammocks will only hold something like 250 pounds. What the SingleNest lacks, however, is just about everything else, including a tarp, a mosquito net and even ropes for hanging. So a good camping hammock if you already have the other gear necessary, or are looking to customize. It weighs 18 ounces, which is 510 grams.
- Hennessy Hammock Explorer Ultralight Asym Classic Hammock - The Explorer is everything you need to go hammock camping. The hammock itself will carry 250 pounds, but also comes with a mosquito net built in. There's also a tarp included, as well as ropes for hanging the hammock in a suitable spot. So it's a more expensive option than the other hammocks listed, and also heavier, at 2 pounds 7 ounces, or 1.1 kilograms for the whole thing, but an excellent option if you want everything you'll need for hammock camping.
- Byer of Maine Moskito Traveller Hammock - Another good hammock for taking camping, this one with a built in mosquito net, so that you wont be bothered by the bugs while you're in the outdoors. It doesn't come with a tarp, however, and also does not come with a hanging system, though Byer of Maine recommends their MicroRopes. The hammock has a maximum weight capacity of 250 pounds, which is fairly standard, and weighs 1 pound, which is 453 grams. So a good portable camping hammock, as long as you're not worried about rain.