If you want to illuminate the entire forest there are some big, heavy headlamps that will put out a whole lot of light and allow you to do just that. But a mini headlamp, while likely not as powerful as a big headlamp, has a few distinct advantages. For one, mini headlamps will weigh less, and it wont feel like you’re carrying a weight around on your head. A mini headlamp that is lightweight will add less bulk and weight to your backpack during the day.
Mini HeadlampWhat you want to see on a mini headlamp.
- Lumens – A smaller headlamp will, generally, have smaller LEDs, and will put out less light. So if a powerful headlamp is important to you, make sure to look closely at the lumens that you can expect from a headlamp when you’re doing your research, so you get something powerful enough to suit your needs.
- Weight – If your main purpose in getting a mini headlamp is to save weight and end up with a lightweight backpack, then you should also pay close attention to the weight of the headlamp. A mini headlamp wont take up much space, but a mini headlamp is not necessarily a lightweight headlamp.
Best Mini HeadlampSome of the best mini headlamps to choose from.
- Petzl Zipka Plus 2 Headlamp - If you want a mini headlamp, the Zipka is an excellent choice. It features a small retractable strap that makes it easy to put on and also easy to store. It will fit right in your pocket until you need it. It has three different brightness levels, the highest giving you 70 lumens of light to work with, and the lowest giving you 155 hours of battery. And the whole thing weighs just 2.5 ounces, or 70 grams with batteries.
- Petzl Tikka XP 2 LED Headlamp - The Tikka XP is a fairly standard looking headlamp that will certainly pack down small when you need it to. It will go for a total of 160 hours on the lowest battery setting, and will pump out 60 lumens in the highest setting, but only for 80 hours. The whole thing, however, weighs just 3.1 ounces, or 87 grams with batteries, so only slightly heavier than the very small Zipka above.
- Black Diamond Storm Headlamp - The Storm is a great headlamp for uncertain weather conditions, as it is fully waterproof and, as the name suggests, the ideal light source when you find yourself out in a storm. On the highest setting the Storm puts out a very impressive 100 lumens, and on the lowest will last for an equally impressive 200 hours. All the improved numbers, plus the waterproof does cost you something in weight, however. At 3.9 ounces, or 110 ounces this is the heaviest headlamp on the list, though not be a large amount.