There’s nothing stopping you from taking a regular old cotton towel camping with you, but if you wanted save on weight and bulk, a microfiber camping towel would be a much better option. These towels absorb more water than their cotton counterparts, and most of the water can be rung out and you can keep right on drying. Microfiber towels also dry quite a bit faster than the cotton variety, meaning you can use it at night and if it’s not dry in the morning, a few hours hanging from your pack in the sun will do the job.
Microfiber Camping TowelFeatures to look at when you're shopping for a new microfiber camping towel.
- Size – There aren’t many variables when it comes to something as simple as a towel, but size is definitely one of them. What you need to keep in mind with a microfiber towel is that it doesn’t need to be as big as a regular towel. These towels can be rung out and then used again. You can actually do just fine with an extremely small microfiber camping towel, though bigger sizes are available.
- Hook – Most microfiber camping towels come with a little loop of fabric in one corner. When you’re in the outdoors you don’t have access to something like a dryer, and so you need to let microfiber towels dry on their own. The easiest way to hang a towel is with that little loop. You can even attach it somewhere to your backpack during the day, to let the sun, which is hopefully out, dry it.
Best Microfiber Camping TowelA few of the better microfiber camping towels.
- REI MultiTowel Lite X Large Towel - The Multitowel from REI is actually a blend of 15% nylon microfiber and 85% polyester. It will absorb up to 8 times its weight in water, and most of that water can be rung out so you can keep on drying. It comes with a handy hook in one corner, and in two smaller sizes, large and medium.
- MSR Packtowl Personal - The Packtowl from MSR is another blend of microfiber and polyester, which provides same excellent absorption to weight ratio that you get with the Mulitowel above. It also comes with a small hook in the corner for easy hanging, but comes in four different sizes, as opposed to the three for the Multitowel.
- Sea to Summit Tek Towel - The Tek is supposed to have more of a plush, soft feel, whereas many other microfiber towels can feel quite dense and not very soft. Like the other two towels it comes with a handy loop of fabric in one corner to hang it. Unlike the other two it comes in an impressive 5 different sizes, so there really is something for everyone.